You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/12/2022 9:56 pm  #1

Nipissing River alder expeditionary

At the start of August I did a short loop out of the Tim access point that was originally meant to be a much longer trip. I got behind almost immediately and ended up doing nothing near my original plan. It was bad planning on my part. I didn’t properly account for the challenges on the Nip between Big Bob and Grass Lake. I knew it was going to be a slog, but this was a slog through a slog. I ended up coming out way early. On the plus side, I got my post trip burger like four days early, so there’s that.

Anyway, here’s the report:

https://allofalgonquin.com/2022/08/12/low-water-high-alders-falling-short-on-the-nipissing-river/

Last edited by AlgonquinLakes (8/12/2022 10:02 pm)

8/13/2022 12:51 pm  #2

Re: Nipissing River alder expeditionary

Thanks for posting your trip report.  Like you I’m mostly canoeing solo these days.  Like you I’ve also had a bad experience with creek travel so sorry about your trip, but was a boost of confidence that I’m not alone.

I still do plenty of canoeing in Algonquin but I cast a suspicious eye on any creeks I may travel on.

Hope the rest of your paddling season goes better!

8/14/2022 9:22 pm  #3

Thank you! I can say with certainty that the rest of the season is off to a good start. At the moment I’m writing this from the north arm of Opeongo. Got up to Red Rock today and have had a great weekend of base camping here.

8/15/2022 7:39 am  #4

UGH!!

well. . . . . . . . now you know

8/16/2022 10:00 am  #5

oldboyscout wrote:

UGH!!

well. . . . . . . . now you know

Exactly! I just wish my trial and error approach to camping didn’t have so much error in it

8/16/2022 11:26 am  #6

I feel your pain... we went from Tim Access to Grass Lake on day one of our summer trip last year... what a way to start a week long trip! 

It looks like we had higher water than what you experienced though, which made it slightly more enjoyable haha. We nearly camped on the campsite you settled on... but with 3 hammocks it would have been really bad. The campsite on Grass Lake is actually really nice for a Nipissing campsite.

8/16/2022 3:50 pm  #7

Sure sounds like an experience.  On the plus side, it's over.  I'm always amazed at how much a bad sleep on the first night kills energy levels.

Now I'm enough of a glutton for punishment that I love creeks but with the current water levels... 

8/20/2022 7:09 am  #8

Evan Briden wrote:

I feel your pain... we went from Tim Access to Grass Lake on day one of our summer trip last year... what a way to start a week long trip! 

It looks like we had higher water than what you experienced though, which made it slightly more enjoyable haha. We nearly camped on the campsite you settled on... but with 3 hammocks it would have been really bad. The campsite on Grass Lake is actually really nice for a Nipissing campsite.

It looked really good from the water. Your trip report is actually one of the reasons I left my aerial tent at home. Gotta say, once you get used to not sleeping on the ground it’s hard to go back.

8/20/2022 7:13 am  #9

keg wrote:

Sure sounds like an experience.  On the plus side, it's over.  I'm always amazed at how much a bad sleep on the first night kills energy levels.

Now I'm enough of a glutton for punishment that I love creeks but with the current water levels... 

You’re right. That bad sleep was huge. Threw everything else off. Nothing quite like starting a big day with energy levels somewhere below 50%.

I think creeks, or at least longer creeks, are going to be strictly a May thing for me from here on out 😀

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.