You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/04/2022 11:08 pm  #1

Campsite tokens, signs, etc., - community opinions?

I would like to get the AA community's opinion on the homemade signs, monuments, tokens, etc., that one occasionally finds on campsites.

The example that stands out in my mind is one campsite that had a little wooden sign on a tree commemorating Gord Downie. Can't recall where exactly, though I know I've seen it discussed here in passing.

So, what do we think? Are these sort of things cool? Unnecessary? Pollutants? Something not to be encouraged? Does it depend on the context? Materials?

Thanks in advance, curious to hear what people think.

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

7/05/2022 5:29 am  #2

Re: Campsite tokens, signs, etc., - community opinions?

I remember coming across that sign (I think it was shaped like a small paddle) and thinking it was a nice addition. In general I don’t necessarily love campsite “improvements”, especially when it’s clear that someone has been cutting trees/branches for their project. But small tokens like that add to the character of the site for me (assuming they’re removable). I once found a site where someone had whittled a couple of birds out of sticks and left them around the site and I really liked that. So, I guess to answer your question, for me it’s case by case. Small and non intrusive can be a nice addition. Large random bushcraft types of things, less so.

7/05/2022 8:50 am  #3

I'm agin it, but then, I'm an old curmudgeon.  Most of that stuff ends up in the fire pit.

7/05/2022 8:55 am  #4

It's Campsite #12 on Pen Lake: https://algonquinbeyond.com/campsites/pen-lake-campsite-12/

I personally don't think they should be there. It doesn't follow Leave No Trace and it sets a bad example for future campers that modifying campsites is acceptable. And it's subjective whether future campers will like it / appreciate it or not.

Like Drew mentioned above, small tokens he appreciates but larger bushcraft is a no go. Someone else might think the opposite and prefer bushcraft creations "what I'm doing is functional not just a visual token". The simplest solution is to just leave the campsite the same way you found it.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/05/2022 11:50 am  #5

no way,, enough of the signs  and tokens,,  i would  burn`em all.  to remember gord, go buy a c.d. 

Last edited by swedish pimple (7/06/2022 10:19 am)

7/05/2022 12:34 pm  #6

trippythings wrote:

It's Campsite #12 on Pen Lake: https://algonquinbeyond.com/campsites/pen-lake-campsite-12/

anything with a Bruins logo would be going into the fire for sure.... Go Leafs Go!

7/05/2022 8:23 pm  #7

Fuddle Duddle to all that crap ... I pull them down , take the nails out and use it fer kindlin to dry me wool bushsocks or fry a squarertail in butter .

7/05/2022 9:19 pm  #8

my 2-cents, but you've got change coming.  I don't like seeing extra stuff in a campsite.  That said, many years ago, probably 1988, I found a copy of Jonathan Livingston Seagull at a campsite somewhere.  Pretty sure it was left behind and not an oversight.  I read the book during the last couple days of our trip.  I never would have read that story had I not found the book there, so....there's that I guess.  I do not remember if I left it behind or carried it out, but I do remember the internal debate of leaving it for somebody else to get the experience I did or pack it out.  The book really resonated with me. If I found a book today I'd pack it out.  Campsites are not lending libraries.

7/16/2022 11:15 am  #9

Quite frankly people need to follow leave no trace when out in the wilderness. If you want to setup a monument, shrine, sign etc do so on your own private property. I am strongly against anything left behind.

My pet peeve is quite frankly all the nails driven into trees.  At some sites I feel like I am in a jungle warfare movie with trees spiked to injure me if I pass too close by any tree.  Sure, chances are essentially zero that you will be caught driving nail into a tree so threat of fine ($125 minimum fine + court costs + victim surcharge fee) of course has zero deterrent, but people need to do the right thing.

From Ontario Parks blog
https://www.ontarioparks.com/parksblog/considerate-camper-trees/
Nails risk health of trees, risk injuring passing campers & staff, & also a huge hazard if maintenance staff ever need to cut the tree with a chain saw

7/16/2022 1:34 pm  #10

I also don't like bushcraft projects on sites, but I can't complain about some of the logs turned into benches or a nice flat table to clean fish on. 

7/18/2022 1:22 pm  #11

No question that I have used and kind of appreciated the odd well crafted table or log seat but if I had to pick it would be leave no trace 100%.  And I'm hoping there is a special place in the underworld for anyone dropping cig butts anywhere anytime but most particularly in the wilderness.

7/18/2022 1:26 pm  #12

GordK wrote:

No question that I have used and kind of appreciated the odd well crafted table or log seat but if I had to pick it would be leave no trace 100%.  And I'm hoping there is a special place in the underworld for anyone dropping cig butts anywhere anytime but most particularly in the wilderness.

HEAR!! HEAR!!

7/24/2022 7:17 pm  #13

You’ll start seeing picnic tables on all the sites pretty soon.

GordK wrote:

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.