You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2022 11:35 am  #1

Canoe Lake-Burnt Island-Sunbeam-Tom Thomson-Littledoe Loop

Hi,
I've been trying to plan an easy route that wasn't an out and back but more of a loop.  I'm trying to bring a family member who is 74 years old.  In good shape, can carry a pack and all that, but trying to find something easy on the portages.

I've been looking at starting out of Canoe-Joe Lakes-Burnt Island Lake.  Then the little lakes and portages thru Jay, Treefrog, into Sunbeam.  From there Aster pond, Kooy Pond, Bartlett Tom Tomson

I've looked through the trip reports, but I'm looking for info from anyone that's done this loop.  Condition of the portages etc.  I'd prefer not to have my Canoe partner wading in knee deep mud, or super steep portages.

Any info anyone would have is greatly appreciated.  The trip would occur the end of September this year.  Or if somebody has a comparable loop that is easy going I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you!

5/28/2022 7:57 pm  #2

Re: Canoe Lake-Burnt Island-Sunbeam-Tom Thomson-Littledoe Loop

I haven't done the section from Burnt Island to Sunbeam and I can't remember the portage froM Sunbeam-Aster but the rest of it should be very manageable.

5/29/2022 12:22 pm  #3

Went the other direction from Sunbeam to Burnt Island a couple weeks ago. no mud, all clear. I will note that the Sunbeam to Treefrog section follows the path of the tornado from last fall. Pretty impressive damage .
Cant speak to the Aster to TT section. I went up thru Vanishing pond. Not ugly, just not fun.

5/30/2022 10:45 am  #4

Thanks very much for the responses.  Greatly appreciated!

5/31/2022 6:24 am  #5

Last time I was through that area, Kooy Pond was pretty dried up so essentially it was one long portage from Willow to Bartlett Lake.  Don't remember there being too much mud so shouldn't be overly difficult just keep in mind that it's going to be close to a 1 Km long portage.

5/31/2022 9:31 am  #6

I am not familiar with the route, but I do know of a tool that can help. www.paddleplanner.com has a fee-based option that allows you to view the topography and subsequently elevation change of every portage. There's a monthly option for $9.99 that might be of use for you on this trip. 

Personally, I used it for planning a trip to Quetico, and was very helpful to plan the total distance and understand the potential difficulty of portages based on elevation change. 

In no way am I affiliated with paddleplanner.

Last edited by Experience The Elements (5/31/2022 9:32 am)

6/04/2022 4:42 pm  #7

I know it isn't a loop, but little doe and Thomson are very pretty lakes and easy to get to.  Maybe go to Thomson on day 1, then little doe on day 2 for a quick change of scenery, and how about a sidetrip up toward vanishing pond?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.