You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2022 12:50 pm  #18

Re: When are the bugs coming this spring?

I'm with Uppa on the NoBugZone. Bought one last year & it is worth its weight in gold in the backcountry!

You need to ask yourself why are you going camping?  Is it to a) enjoy nature or b) to prove how tough you are... err I mean... to prove how much discomfort you can handle by going one item camping like "naked and afraid"?

I used to ascribe to the "Don't complain, camp in the rain" scout motto, maybe I am just getting old, but I don't see the point in being miserable (all the while trying to convince myself I am not miserable...) in the backcountry.

NoBugZone allows you to sit outside & enjoy nature in peace despite the bugs and/or rain.  You always need to evaluate the space/weight penalty of brining something, otherwise you end up bringing way too much... but given how much more enjoyment of nature the NoBugZone brings, I think it is worth the space/weight penalty of brining it.

5/08/2022 6:03 pm  #19

I just bought the 13. I debated the size but think it was a good decision.

5/09/2022 9:27 am  #20

A few mosquitos out this weekend but with the dry weather they shouldn't be an issue. Black flies should be out in full force by the end of the week. 

5/09/2022 10:40 am  #21

My friend who lives in Kearney saw a few blackflies this weekend.  Odds are the warm weather will really make them start to pop soon.

I grabbed a NoBugZone a few years ago and can't stop suggesting them for any time of year.  The walls are sturdy enough to keep the rain off  most times too.  One of my fondest recent trip memories is sitting in the bug tarp with rain and bugs kept well away while me and my friend ate warm stew we cooked on a stove next to us.  It'll keep you dry, warm, and sane.

99% sure I'm taking it on my upcoming 24 trip, despite the added weight and bulk.

5/09/2022 12:27 pm  #22

IanTendy wrote:

My friend who lives in Kearney saw a few blackflies this weekend.  Odds are the warm weather will really make them start to pop soon.

I grabbed a NoBugZone a few years ago and can't stop suggesting them for any time of year.  The walls are sturdy enough to keep the rain off  most times too.  One of my fondest recent trip memories is sitting in the bug tarp with rain and bugs kept well away while me and my friend ate warm stew we cooked on a stove next to us.  It'll keep you dry, warm, and sane.

99% sure I'm taking it on my upcoming 24 trip, despite the added weight and bulk.

Which NoBugZone do you have? It looks like there are a few versions.  I've got the Onsight Big Box shelter and it works well for the bugs, but I like the idea of having something that doubles as a tarp as well.

5/09/2022 5:18 pm  #23

the water temps where i was sunday and today are approx. 56/58 f.  the black flies should hatch out at the 60/62 f. degree range,,,  yes the hatch is getting close,, there are midges all over the place.. 
   apparently there are 26 different species of black flies ,, however not all are biters,, yahoo!!!  
       specks are in the timbers.  i nailed one of my best specks yesterday ,,, caught and released to spawn this fall,,,  

5/09/2022 7:39 pm  #24

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

IanTendy wrote:

Which NoBugZone do you have? It looks like there are a few versions.  I've got the Onsight Big Box shelter and it works well for the bugs, but I like the idea of having something that doubles as a tarp as well.

think I have the CT11 and that's perfect for 2-4 people.  I've got a lil review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srxxvhC-D68

I've found that by staking the bottom first it's a lot easier to set this baby up.  I love it.

5/10/2022 6:02 pm  #25

Uppa wrote:

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

You are too kind, Uppa, I really appreciate that offer.  I think I'm gonna pass on it though, I'll have my hands full on portages as it is.  

My plan is to dress for bugs, then later regret not taking you up on it, then writing a trip report that reminds everyone about your kind offer and my bullheadedness that declined your kind offer.  

Hah! I've seen the phrase "cube of sanity" floated around when talking about bug tents, and it really can be the case. If I'm on a bug-riddled campsite and have no relief except by crawling into my tiny one-man tent, I very quickly start questioning my life decisions. I went years camping without a bug tent in bug season, but now that I have the NoBugZone, it's basically essential equipment for a late May or June camping trip. 

If you change your mind, just let me know!

Better to have it then be looking for one that's for sure, i ordered one last year and it came long after black fly season. I'm glad i have one now, we are heading in early Friday morning for 5 days. I think we will be hanging out in our "cube of sanity". Just have to figure out how to paddle through the mesh LOL.

Cheers

5/11/2022 3:25 pm  #26

ChristineCanoes wrote:

I just bought the 13. I debated the size but think it was a good decision.

Good choice!!  I also have the 13, think it is a much better "value" proposition and only 1/2 pound heavier. So about 10% more weight but much more than 10% useable area.  Not only is the square footage of coverage greater, but it is also around a foot taller, which makes actual useable area much more useful as the sides slope down, you have more useable height/area to work with.

5/11/2022 4:49 pm  #27

Unable to rent or purchase a BugTarp for my May long weekend trip (however I have purchased one for my other trips this year). Crossing my fingers that the original bug shirt, thermacell, and bug spray, coupled with a windy site on a point, does the trick!!

Last edited by NigelTheCamper (5/11/2022 5:02 pm)

5/12/2022 6:20 am  #28

The other option for May travel is long sleeves and DEET.  That's worked for me for 40 years of tripping.  But I don't sit around on my campsite very much - we are active and out exploring most of the daylight hours.

5/12/2022 9:34 am  #29

*** is with the weather today and tomorrow? 30 degrees?
Rain for a few days and then back to normal mid teen highs next week. Am I going to get absolutely worked going in on Wednesday 18th?

*googles nobugzone tent*....

5/12/2022 9:49 am  #30

PaPaddler wrote:

The other option for May travel is long sleeves and DEET.  That's worked for me for 40 years of tripping.  But I don't sit around on my campsite very much - we are active and out exploring most of the daylight hours.

And gloves!  I purchased some that I'm going to try out.  Looked at Rynoskin gloves, but came to the conclusion those would be pretty slippery.  Instead, I bought some Coolibar gloves.  These are intended for people with skin conditions/extreme sensitivity to the sun (UV rated clothing).  They have a silicone pattern on the inside, so they won't (fingers crossed) slide off a camera, for example), and they are pretty close fitting, so that allows good dexterity.  The fabric is a breathable micro mesh, and is moisture wicking. They come in a normal length, elbow length, and halfway up your bicep length.  I got the elbow-length ones, kind of a cream color,  So, with long sleeve shirt, my hands will be pretty invincible.....I hope.  They seem pretty durable to me, I guess we'll find out.  I'm very interested to see how it works out, and will definitely report on how they worked for me after my late May trip. 

5/12/2022 10:34 am  #31

I was actually going to purchase one of these for my wife when we go on our trip.  It looks a bit much to setup, but the price is right.

https://www.amazon.ca/MEKKAPRO-Mosquito-Repellent-Openings-Curtains/dp/B01KKMZRFK/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=mosquito%2Bnet&qid=1652369584&sr=8-6&th=1

Mosquitos love her and the bites swell up.  

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

5/12/2022 11:18 am  #32

Up here in Huntsville, the black flies have been dealing for a good 5 days and as of yesterday a few decided to start feeding. It's probably a matter of a day or two before it's full-blown bugpocalypse.

5/12/2022 12:40 pm  #33

Peek wrote:

Up here in Huntsville, the black flies have been dealing for a good 5 days and as of yesterday a few decided to start feeding. It's probably a matter of a day or two before it's full-blown bugpocalypse.

Thanks Peek. 

Heading up early tomorrow with a buddy who gets terrorized by them.  I myself don't mind the bugs much, but I guess this is good reinforcement to bring the No Bug Zone. 

5/14/2022 3:26 pm  #34

i bought one of these NBZ 13. Some advocates of this thing in here. Thank you all for your help

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.