You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2022 8:03 pm  #1

Cellular service along Hwy 60 ( especially Cannisby Bay PaddleIn sites

No really a fan of cell service when tripping  but does anybody know if
cell service is likely to work on the Paddle In sites on the Cannisby Bay paddle in sites

Just a contingency as my partner has a in-law relative that  has been admitted to  the SunnyBrook hospital in Toronto ( Palative care)  with
Restricted visiting to immediate sons and daughters
Therefore being able to be contacted by phone in case things turn worse is one thing we are looking at to possibly savage a spring fishing  trip and do a Cannisby Bay Paddle in site plus do some day trips to stocked lakes along  highway 60

So, has anybody used cell service on the interior sites on Cannisby Bay

Alternatively , what about cell service on Sunday Lake if Cannisby Bay paddle in sites are too far off the Hwy60 corridor for cell service

Thanks
Randy

5/03/2022 9:14 pm  #2

Re: Cellular service along Hwy 60 ( especially Cannisby Bay PaddleIn sites

Why don't you check the coverage map for your mobile carrier to see if you have service? I expect that you should have coverage for all the lakes you mention, as I have had coverage further from Hwy 60 (Telus).

Of course the caveat is that if the cell tower is down, I don't think it is going to be a high priority to have service restored.  I have camped several times in South Arm of Opeongo & have had coverage (Telus), but somewhat spotty as you might expect, if you are in the shadow of trees blocking signal from the south, then you won't have signal, on a south facing site on the lake, then did have service & also on open water.  But conversely, had camped mid-Aug last year 3 days & none of the days had service, even on Hwy 60 near Opeongo.  If a cell tower was down in the city, I would hardly expect that it would be left down for hours, far less days at a time.

5/03/2022 10:36 pm  #3

You should be fine. Few yrs back, last site, ( east side at top) had service. I remember getting weather reports.  
enjoy.

5/04/2022 6:53 am  #4

I camped there 2 years ago and had cell service (telus).  Campground is also just a 5 min paddle away.

Last edited by boknows (5/04/2022 6:54 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

5/04/2022 12:38 pm  #5

It will probably depend what site you stay on. I haven't camped on Canisbay personally, but for most of the lakes that I find cell service, it's not consistent throughout the entire lake.

It's definitely not worth relying on. If you need to be in communication the two things I'd rely on are i) paddling back to the campground and checking messages (of course this won't be instant communication it will depend how often you want to paddle back), or ii) renting/purchasing a GPS communication device like an inReach that lets you send and receive text messages.

I haven't camped on Sunday but when I was on Sproule, one lake further in the interior, I had pretty strong cell service on about 3/4 of the lake. I would assume Sunday would be within service, but again I wouldn't rely on it for something serious.

Especially if you're going to be day tripping into other lakes, a GPS communicator like inReach will be your best option.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/23/2022 12:07 pm  #6

Thank you to all who gave me advice on this matter

I ended up going to a Grand Lake on a solo trip and was able to fish Carcajou Bay , Upper and Lower Spectacle on my first day and Rowan on my second day .. sadly caught nothing , one possible bite on Rowan
and oddles of Bugs swarming but not really biting but quite the nuisance unless you like bug protein in your porridge

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.