You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2022 3:30 pm  #1

Rainbows

Just wondering if anyone here fishes for them and how your experiences have been. No need to name lakes I know where they are/used to be, but I'm curious if any of you target them - particularly on the fly. Personally, I rarely fish the water bodies that used to hold them, but I'm considering a fall trip with the fly rod. I don't think the APP stocking program includes them anymore, sadly.  

4/18/2022 9:42 am  #2

Re: Rainbows

Personally I'm quite happy that they aren't stocking Rainbow Trout any more. They are not native to Ontario and there is no justification for stocking a completely non-native species. 

4/19/2022 8:51 am  #3

RobW wrote:

Personally I'm quite happy that they aren't stocking Rainbow Trout any more. They are not native to Ontario and there is no justification for stocking a completely non-native species. 

I agree, Rob. But since the rainbow trout have already been introduced, I don't get too emotional about it and rather enjoy the challenge of catching one on the fly, as well as any other trout or char.  Do you feel similar about splake?

4/19/2022 9:50 am  #4

Good question about Splake. I thought about it as I replied previously. As a hybrid, splake obviously aren't a native species, but they are a hybrid of 2 native species (which you know) - brook trout and lake trout. They also are not able to reproduce in the wild because of the mixed up spawning schedules of brook trout and lake trout. 

As a put-and-take stocking option to support heavier fishing pressure in lakes that can't support a self sustaining native trout population, I think that splake are  good option. That includes the lake my cottage is on (outside the park) and especially lakes where water levels fluctuate radically like anywhere that supplies the Trent-Severn.  Splake have the benefit of growing faster than lake trout and while still doing better in lakes that are less suited to brook trout. 

I'm Ok with splake being stocked in Algonquin lakes, especially lakes facing high angling pressure, but a case could certainly be made that only native brookies and lake trout with the potential to reproduce in the wild should be stocked in Algonquin. 

Closer to home, I would also like to see the Brown Trout stocking on the Grand River phased out and support given to supporting the recovery of Brook Trout, which are still present in creeks feeding into the Grand. 

4/22/2022 4:22 pm  #5

Totally agree with you about the stocking program for APP regarding splake, or any other Park with water sources that are easily accessible and hit hard. I'm no biologist but I understand the splake are more resilient and also target young perch for food. In fact, they're a terrific species to introduce into trout/char lakes that have become overrun with invasive species. Gilmour Lake used to be an amazing brook trout and lake trout fishery. But sadly it has since been take over by bass and perch.  truth be told, I haven't been back to the crater in many many years.  So who know, perhaps there's now a thriving huge bass population and bass anglers are overcome with joy about it. Live and let live, eh?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.