You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2022 5:43 pm  #18

Re: Algonquin Park Backcountry Camping Closure - April 1 to May 12, 2022.

Jdbonney wrote:

Opens at 00:01 on the 4th Saturday of April. This year that’s the 23rd.

Ahhh right you are… thanks for clarifying.

4/18/2022 8:05 am  #19

rgcmce wrote:

Swift Fifteen wrote:

rgcmce wrote:

No.  In the past, the park never closed.

What do you mean, "No"?  Did you bother to read my entire comment?  "..as long as I can remember"  Despite the fact you skipped over that part, do you have anything else to contribute?

I guess I'm a little taken aback by your response.  I may be getting on but my memory is not failing to the extent that I can't remember a few years back.  I would have thought that someone younger could do better than that.  The critical change happened in about 2011 when John Winters retired as Park Superintendent.  The nanny state ensued a year or two later.  Here's a description of me enjoying my mid April birthday in the Park in 2012 ( https://mcelroy.ca/bushlog/20120413.html )

So my apologies if you feel I did not read your post.  I really did; I just asumed you could remember back ten years.  Obviously I was wrong.

No need to apologize, I get it. However, the bulk of my outdoor experience has not been logged within provincial park boundaries for a variety of reasons. With the exception of chasing spring brook trout and APP being Ontario's premier area for this fishery, I tend to avoid PP's and prefer to spend the bulk of my time on crown land where the only real rule is common sense. I had no idea the Park changed the rules in 2012 (ish). My apologies.

Edit: I just realized who you are and I'm slightly embarrassed. Your website is a goldmine of information and details dating back to 1975. In fact, I've had your web-page saved in my favourites for "as long as I can remember". It has helped me through some tough winters over the years. Truly a fantastic resource and a must read. Thank you and happy birthday, Bob.

Last edited by Swift Fifteen (4/18/2022 8:19 am)

4/18/2022 8:53 am  #20

@Swift Fifteen:  Thank you for your comments.  All is well and no harm done. 

Based on this morning's drive in our local neighbourhood (upper Ottawa Valley), I am optimistic that the thaw is well underway.  The park probably won't be ice free by the coming weekend, but it should be soon thereafter.  I'm going to attempt a drive in this coming week to have a closer looks.

4/18/2022 8:43 pm  #21

Swift Fifteen wrote:

Edit: I just realized who you are and I'm slightly embarrassed. .

No offense to Bob, but if anybody else with extensive experience at ice-out observation (eg, me, Martin G, many others) had posted a rebuttal, would you have flamed them instead of kissing their butt?

Last edited by Gord Baker (4/18/2022 8:44 pm)

4/19/2022 8:38 am  #22

Gord Baker wrote:

Swift Fifteen wrote:

Edit: I just realized who you are and I'm slightly embarrassed. .

No offense to Bob, but if anybody else with extensive experience at ice-out observation (eg, me, Martin G, many others) had posted a rebuttal, would you have flamed them instead of kissing their butt?

Definitely not Martin G, he's a good dood.

Looks like Burntroot is ice free, according to Worldview. Cedar looks to still have a thin layer of black ice which should disappear by this coming Monday after the double digits expected Sunday. I think April 29th is looking good for ice free APP.  Those of you looking for an early May opening may get your wish.

Last edited by Swift Fifteen (4/19/2022 8:39 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.