You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2022 5:12 pm  #1

Quick question

This Summer I an thinking of doing my first, and probably my last backpacking trip.
About 10ish K each way just to walk over a suspension bridge.
So other than pack lighter what is the 1 peice of advice you would give a solo canoeist heading out on what is pretty much a stupid long portage without the canoe?

4/05/2022 8:23 pm  #2

Re: Quick question

i would suggest trekking poles for that distance,, many benefits to these poles . helps to  keep you walking more up right, not slouching,  poles make things easier on the back/spine/ neck/ shoulders.  also these poles help to keep you steady along rough spots on the trails. handy around the camp for critter control. 
    invest in good shoes/boots and have them broken in before the trip.
    i hope this helps

Last edited by swedish pimple (4/05/2022 8:24 pm)

4/06/2022 6:24 am  #3

swedish pimple wrote:

i would suggest trekking poles for that distance,, many benefits to these poles . helps to  keep you walking more up right, not slouching,  poles make things easier on the back/spine/ neck/ shoulders.  also these poles help to keep you steady along rough spots on the trails. handy around the camp for critter control. 
    invest in good shoes/boots and have them broken in before the trip.
    i hope this helps

I couldn't agree more with the footwear advice. Many years years ago did a five day trek on the northern end of the Bruce trail in new(ish) boots that weren't completely broken in. Was a nightmare!

4/06/2022 11:10 am  #4

#1 - Footwear - Break them in well before you go on your hike.
#2 - Well fitting backpack; should feel like a monkey on your back; snug to the body, no space between your body and the pack.

4/06/2022 11:41 am  #5

breed85 wrote:

#2 - Well fitting backpack; should feel like a monkey on your back; snug to the body, no space between your body and the pack.

Came here to say this.  A proper fitting/comfortable pack will make a world of difference.

Mark your water re-supply points if you think you will need some before you settle in at camp (assuming you're camping near a water source).  

Take some foot cream like working feet or burts bees to ease those puppies when you take your hiking shoes off. 

Blister band aids in the first aid kit.

Spare bootlaces or para chord that fits your eyelets in case a lace snaps.  

4/06/2022 4:09 pm  #6

Pukaskwa?

Do a full gear dump. Ruthless weight cutting will be your friend.

Your big 4 (tent, sleeping bag, sleep pad, pack) should be a max of 10 pounds.

Hit some local trails of at least a few hours hike with a weighted pack.

4/06/2022 4:09 pm  #7

On the footwear front... I swear by the Wrightsock double-layer crew socks. I have never had a blister with them.

4/07/2022 12:28 pm  #8

Thanks for the tips and advise. I have been meaning to pick up a set of walking sticks anyway and I never thought of marking water spots. Camping on lakes had spoiled me.
Also never thought of the extra foot care on the first aid kit. Kind of obvious when I think and it.

Jdbonney ya, moved last year and Pukaskwa is a 45 min drive so I figured I should do this while I still can.

4/07/2022 4:10 pm  #9

check out "mole skin " for da blisters.

4/07/2022 5:15 pm  #10

Mole skin is already in the first aid kit. And that is something I really need to pair down, right now my first aid kit is something a second year medical student would be proud of.

4/08/2022 5:43 am  #11

ditch the rainsuit and get a backpacking poncho- the rainsuit doesn't fit over the pack while hiking, but the poncho will, and it's 1/4 the weight.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.