You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2022 5:42 pm  #18

Re: Camp saw recommendations

Swift Fifteen wrote:

I've tried almost every brand and folding saw out there including the Boreal, Bahco, Sawvivor, Silky, Dustrude, even had one of those red tube flimsy saws many many years ago - mine said Yamaha on the side. I'm pretty sure it was a gift or I won it. I also used an Erwin 15" (which I really liked) for a couple summers. Unfortunately a 15" conventional wood saw didn't fit in my pack that well. But I've learned many lessons along the way, and the bottom line is I now have three choices;

1. When weight is not really an issue I take the Silky BB 2000.  The best cutting blade out there, imho. Not too big, not too small, and it really gets the job done. Many options to choose from including different blade options.

2. When packing light I take the Bahco Laplander.  Very sharp, compact, and durable.  I've had mine for around 16 years and it hasn't failed me. I often fasten it to a long limb and use it to clear branches and small limbs when deer hunting. You can find them in orange or dark green.  Did I mention it's sharp?

3. When packing very light, I don't bring a saw or an axe, just my belt knife. Dead branches and wrist sized limbs are easily dealt with, or using the method of two trees close together to break limbs down.

So many choices out there, but those are mine based on my personal experience.  Good luck

Awesome, many thanks for your response Swift Fifteen!

2/22/2022 5:57 pm  #19

Swift Fifteen wrote:

I've tried almost every brand and folding saw out there including the Boreal, Bahco, Sawvivor, Silky, Dustrude, even had one of those red tube flimsy saws many many years ago - mine said Yamaha on the side. I'm pretty sure it was a gift or I won it. I also used an Erwin 15" (which I really liked) for a couple summers. Unfortunately a 15" conventional wood saw didn't fit in my pack that well. But I've learned many lessons along the way, and the bottom line is I now have three choices;

1. When weight is not really an issue I take the Silky BB 2000.  The best cutting blade out there, imho. Not too big, not too small, and it really gets the job done. Many options to choose from including different blade options.

2. When packing light I take the Bahco Laplander.  Very sharp, compact, and durable.  I've had mine for around 16 years and it hasn't failed me. I often fasten it to a long limb and use it to clear branches and small limbs when deer hunting. You can find them in orange or dark green.  Did I mention it's sharp?

3. When packing very light, I don't bring a saw or an axe, just my belt knife. Dead branches and wrist sized limbs are easily dealt with, or using the method of two trees close together to break limbs down.

So many choices out there, but those are mine based on my personal experience.  Good luck

Funny everyone’s experience. I have owned all those saws too except no Sawivivor and my Silky was smaller. BB 2000 looks way better. I didn’t love the Silky I had though.

I landed on the Agawa with the aggressive blade when weight isn’t an issue and this saw I bought on a whim last year
for  when it is. Outperforms the laplander by a far margin and so light I don’t need a “no saw” option.

https://www.knifepointgear.com/product-page/worlds-lightest-backpacking-saw

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

2/22/2022 6:19 pm  #20

That Knife Point Gear saw looks like someone attached one of my saws-all blades to a tube. Looks aggressive too, cool. But I have to tell you, I'm legitimately surprised you found it outperformed the Laplander "..by a far margin." The one I have reminds me of my Silky when in use.  Obviously I use the Laplander for smaller tasks, but the performance always makes me smile every time I use it.

2/23/2022 10:56 am  #21

Swift Fifteen wrote:

That Knife Point Gear saw looks like someone attached one of my saws-all blades to a tube.

That is exactly what it is. This is the blade it comes with…12 inch carbide blade.no reason it wouldn’t take others.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/12-3-tooth-pruning-reciprocating-saw-blade/p/1222372?gclid=Cj0KCQiA09eQBhCxARIsAAYRiylqsFqbgE1CQSubMXywFZM9dBESk1hXlScGHY-cRweVhFqFfzmiObkaAjW7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Easy enough to make yourself too I think. This guy did.

https://youtu.be/duEYDp0DUAQ

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.