You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2022 11:43 am  #1

Non-Traditional Portage Pack

Does anyone have any experience using a packraft pack for single canoe portaging ?

Specifically looking at the ULA Epic.  https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/epic/

Pros of using this type of pack that I can see:

1. Has backpacking harness which can be custom fit. Should be far more comfortable then most if not all canoe packs.
2. Fully waterproof
3. Has external storage not seen on waterproof canoe packs
4. This pack seems to ride low enough to portage a canoe and not get in the way. Have seen 1 confirmation of this online.
5. Good volume. 70L - 80L easy.
6. Adaptable to different size dry bags.
7. Looks like a decent backpacking pack too. So double duty.
8. Easy to repair. If the dry bag tears just buy a new bag. Harness should last a long time.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

2/21/2022 2:55 pm  #2

Re: Non-Traditional Portage Pack

The company has a good rep with ultralight backpackers.

I use a similar pack (though not waterproof) and find the external pockets extremely useful.

2/22/2022 6:36 am  #3

Looks a lot like the Seal Line drybag backpacks I've been using for 10 or 15 years.  I like the way they work for canoe trips.  Seems quite a bit more expensive than mine but I haven't priced any of those in at least five years (which shows how well they work).

2/22/2022 9:09 am  #4

PaPaddler wrote:

Looks a lot like the Seal Line drybag backpacks I've been using for 10 or 15 years.  I like the way they work for canoe trips.  Seems quite a bit more expensive than mine but I haven't priced any of those in at least five years (which shows how well they work).

ya I think it's close to a SealLine Pro 70L..which are $370 CAD now. This one intrigues me because of the more custom fit, likely superior harness and external storage. 

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

2/22/2022 9:53 am  #5

I gave up on waterproof packs decades ago because one little rip or pinhole exposes the contents to water and have seen dozens of them fail. I prefer the uncoated nylon or canvas traditional style canoe packs equipped with modern  hiking style suspension, and filled with various drybags that are colour coded for contents. That way the pack acts as protection for the drybags and still allows you to carry wet articles in it.

2/22/2022 11:15 am  #6

I would say that looks like a "normal" canoe pack whether the Sealine or the Eureka. ( I was tempted to say "traditional" because surely the roll top waterproof packs are "traditional" by now.)

To ScouterGriz's point, I would counter that there are no rules against using drybags inside a waterproof canoe pack. Add in the better harnesses on the modern portage packs compared to a traditional canvas pack and I think you come out way ahead using a waterproof pack to start with. 

2/22/2022 12:25 pm  #7

Ya I would never pack key items ( sleeping bag, clothes etc) in something other than an smaller dry bag. Regardless of whether the main pack is waterproof or not.

Why I'm labelling this as a non traditional pack is primarily because of the harness system which is closer to an ultralight backpack than a  canoe pack but I agree I would label Eureka/SealLine bags as traditional now as well. 

2/22/2022 1:29 pm  #8

Whoa! I just looked at the prices on the Sealine 120L and the Eureka 115L. The Sealine is listing at $410 while the Eureka is still $170. I was going to order a Sealine to replace my old Eureka given how the harness glue failed on my Eureka (after a good 10 years of use), but at those prices I'm definitely considering going back to the Eureka. The extra grab handles on the Eureka have always been highly appreciated loading and unloading. 

2/22/2022 1:49 pm  #9

How do Ostrom packs fit into this discussion?

2/22/2022 2:06 pm  #10

I have never packed gear directly in to a dry bag canoe pack without the added protection/ peace of mind of a secondary dry bag of some kind. Just for organization  as well as a second moisture barrier. I'm surprised to hear this is a practice of some. I love my MEC slogg 70. I do miss external storage of a more tradional pack however. I find that a valid pro for sure. I consider the water  resistance of a dry bag to outweigh comfort on a portage. Most portages are relatively short so in don't miss the comfort required for longer duration backpacking trips when your on the trail for hours at a time.

Last edited by Shayne74 (2/22/2022 2:19 pm)

2/22/2022 2:44 pm  #11

rgcmce wrote:

How do Ostrom packs fit into this discussion?

In my mind there are 4 groups of packs..

1. Old School - Duluth, Frost River.. canvas with rivets.. might have a tumpline
2. New Updated Old School - CCS/Granite Gear/Ostrom.. Usually made of stronger Cordura, more comfortable than #1 with foam inserts and might have an internal frame like the Ostrom Wabakimi
3. Waterproof packs - Eureka/MEC/SealLine - A dry bag with a harness.More expensive versions like the SealLine Pro have more robust harness systems. None of them have external pockets or storage.
4. Backpacking packs - I know some people that canoe with a backpacking pack due to the greater comfort. These are usually too tall to single portage with unless you modify them a bit. 

The ULA  Epic I mentioned to me is really a cross between 3 and 4 with no need to modify like  #4.( I Think)

2/22/2022 2:52 pm  #12

Shayne74 wrote:

I have never packed gear directly in to a dry bag canoe pack without the added protection/ peace of mind of a secondary dry bag of some kind. Just for organization  as well as a second moisture barrier. I'm surprised to hear this is a practice of some. I love my MEC slogg 70. I do miss external storage of a more tradional pack however. I find that a valid pro for sure. I consider the water  resistance of a dry bag to outweigh comfort on a portage. Most portages are relatively short so in don't miss the comfort required for longer duration backpacking trips when your on the trail for hours at a time.

As I move solidly into my 50s, comfort is becoming  a bigger deal to me. On longer single portages I find myself having to stop not because of my cardio but because the weight is starting to cut into my shoulders.

So my thinking on how to avoid that and still single portage... I have to either reduce my weight or look at a bag with a more comfortable harness system.. or both..

Last edited by ShawnD (2/22/2022 2:53 pm)

2/22/2022 3:19 pm  #13

I have used the waterproof bags in the past, albeit a cheap one ( North 49 120L) at the time (now $180... i paid under $60 from Canadian Tire) and found them less comfortable than other bags. The ability to keep things dry far outweighed this discomfort though. I like bags that sit nice and low in the canoe, and bags that have external handles. Another issue I had was the lack of external pockets, opening this bag while on the water is never fun.

I have moved to the Level 6 Algonquin 95 (currently 150$ at MEC, seems like a steal with the prices of everything else going to the moon, and have been really happy with my choice. Excellent portage bag, wide and sturdy straps etc. Only downside is it is not waterproof, easily fixed with plenty of dry bags.

Not going to lie, this ULA Epic has more than tickled my fancy... it might be exactly what I was looking for in that it appears to be a best of both worlds.  Thanks for sharing!

2/22/2022 3:39 pm  #14

ShawnD wrote:

Shayne74 wrote:

As I move solidly into my 50s, comfort is becoming  a bigger deal to me. On longer single portages I find myself having to stop not because of my cardio but because the weight is starting to cut into my shoulders.

So my thinking on how to avoid that and still single portage... I have to either reduce my weight or look at a bag with a more comfortable harness system.. or both..

Valid Points. 2 years until I hit 50 but I'll be looking for options that allow me to extend my canoe tripping years sooner or later . Anything that can improve your comfort and performance allowing you to get out into the bush are greatly appreciated . I've had a chance to look these ULA packs up. They seem decent and the price point isn't so out of line . Decent investment for sure .

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.