You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2022 2:51 pm  #1

Fly Rod exclusive

I'm planning a solo light (40lbs) single carry trip and wondering if anyone has disciplined themselves to fly fishing only on extend trips in the Gonk?  Any areas or bodies of water more conducive to fly fishing? I'm thinking Welcome, Harry, Rence area would be a good start due to the organic bait restrictions. Or Perhaps one of the river systems; Nip, Tim..ect

I'm seriously considering this for my spring trout adventure. I picked up a lightweight fly rod/reel combo and I'm trying to convince myself that I'll be as successful as if I brought a spinning combo. Several of my meals with be pan sized fish. I've only packed a fly rod once about 30 years ago, but I'm really excited about the idea of chasing trout with only a fly. I fly fish a few times a year, but never exclusive.

2/08/2022 10:25 am  #2

Re: Fly Rod exclusive

Personally, I find the spinning rod to be much more versatile. Algonquin streams tend to be tighter spaces with fairly sharp drops that are not a good option for wading. Quite different than rivers like the Grand down this way which is relatively shallow but wide. 

2/08/2022 2:50 pm  #3

If I take a fly rod with me on trip I almost definitely have a spinning rod with me as well.

Fly fishing is great, but requires more set up, patience, tangles etc.  But a good fight on a 5 weight is more fun than a mepps 2 on an ugly stik  .

Take both, and if you have the time to toss a few casts do it.  The extra weight of one rod isn’t going to slow you down.

2/09/2022 11:52 am  #4

I may just bring it along, I agree it doesn't weigh much. I recently watched an informative video on YT that really fired me up on blowing the dust off my fly equipment.  Jeff Jackson arguably does one of the best presentations of the Park and it's rich history.including brook trout and fly fishing. He also offers guiding (fly fishing) services in the Park.  You can check it out here

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jeff+jackson+fishing

2/10/2022 6:31 am  #5

Actually, for really tight spots a fly rod with a spinning reel would not be a bad combination. Pendulum casting a lightly weighted worm (the horror!) with a long pole gets you into those holes between boulders and behind logs.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.