You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/19/2021 10:26 am  #1

2022 Reservation of Hike-in Backcountry Campsites

Regarding reservations of the Backcountry Hike-in campsites, here's a "copy/paste" of a Facebook post from Algonquin Provincial Park ..

Algonquin Provincial Park
November 17

Our backpacking campers have let us know that having the ability to select and reserve specific campsites before they set out on the trails is important to them.

Based on this feedback, we are updating our reservation system so campers can make site-specific reservations at campsites along our three backpacking trails: Eastern Pines, Western Uplands, and Highland.

This change becomes effective December 13, 2021 when we will begin taking site-specific reservations up to 5 months in advance for next season, which opens May 13, 2022

Updated maps and photos will soon be on our reservations website to help you plan and select campsites for your next trip

As always, reservations can be made online at 
http://reservations.ontarioparks.com  or by phone at 1-888-668-7275

No changes will be made to the reservation system for Algonquin Provincial Park’s paddling backcountry sites at this time

We hope these changes improve your upcoming backpacking trips to Algonquin Provincial Park!

https://www.facebook.com/AlgonquinProvPark

12/19/2021 6:22 pm  #2

Re: 2022 Reservation of Hike-in Backcountry Campsites

Is anyone else having mixed feelings about this?  Having been to other parks where you pick your site beforehand I don't know how I feel about this.  I've spent some interesting moments in Algonquin debating in my mind is this the right spot for tonight?  I've often factored the weather forecast, KMs put on, and KMs yet to go, water access, usable tent bed etc.  The reservation of the spot you will rest your head that night will be predetermined maybe 5 months in advance.  Where's the fun in that?  I've been to most sites on all the backpacking trails and I know some are more desirable than others.  Sometimes you get what you get and you don't get upset!  How will this impact those more sought after sites?  Will they get closed because of overuse?  On the plus side I will take advantage of the income tax claim of taking a "staycation" in Ontario for the tax season of 2022.  Bring on the camping!!

12/20/2021 9:31 am  #3

solosal wrote:

Is anyone else having mixed feelings about this?  Having been to other parks where you pick your site beforehand I don't know how I feel about this.  I've spent some interesting moments in Algonquin debating in my mind is this the right spot for tonight?  I've often factored the weather forecast, KMs put on, and KMs yet to go, water access, usable tent bed etc.  The reservation of the spot you will rest your head that night will be predetermined maybe 5 months in advance.  Where's the fun in that?  I've been to most sites on all the backpacking trails and I know some are more desirable than others.  Sometimes you get what you get and you don't get upset!  How will this impact those more sought after sites?  Will they get closed because of overuse?  On the plus side I will take advantage of the income tax claim of taking a "staycation" in Ontario for the tax season of 2022.  Bring on the camping!!

I also have mixed feelings about this. There's a certain excitement behind not knowing which exact site you will end up at. On the other hand, sites I have booked at other parks in the past such as Killarney or Pukaskwa require a specific site selection and there is a comfort factor knowing you have the spot of your choice.

However, the near north trails are all so booked up now that it will become even more difficult to secure the more desirable spots. It has become a sad booking race to get much of anything on the Algonquin trails now. I believe overuse in the past couple of years especially is already causing issues (as you also pointed out in another thread), and I too question how specific site selections may further impact this. I am thankful to have enjoyed the trails during quieter times...

Thanks for pointing out the staycation tax credit as I was unaware of it!

12/21/2021 5:30 pm  #4

...I just checked out the reservation system and it is in full effect. I also noticed that more sites are available for reservations.  For example, Susan, Rainbow, Clara, Steeprise and Thunder Lakes used to allow only one reservation per lake and now permit two based on site existence. Only a few lakes left where there's an opportunity to be the only camper(s). 

I had a feeling this would happen 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.