You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2021 3:13 pm  #1

Access #3 to Rosebary

Hi all,

As we settle into winter and watch the lakes close in I inevitably start gazing at the maps.  Wondering if anyone has gone from Magnetewan to Rosebary Lake?  Obviously I'd prefer to take the Tim River route, but I don't know what the river flow would be like.

I've got a grand plan to run the Nip in the spring, and Access #3 is where I'd like to start/finish for a number of reasons.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ian

11/09/2021 8:27 pm  #2

Re: Access #3 to Rosebary

I believe Uppa did a trip through David up to Rosebary a few years back.

11/10/2021 10:11 am  #3

I haven't gone from Magnetawan to Rosebary - but I have gone from Rosebary to Magnetawan (Oct 2020) - what are you looking to find out?

11/10/2021 11:03 am  #4

Peek, I'm wondering if it's viable to head up the Tim river as opposed to taking the 3.5km portage.
Basically I don't want to carry 8-9 days of food over that portage if possible.  Is the Tim similar to the Pet between Daisy and Little Misty?  I got burned trying to go up the Madawaska one spring and now I'm gun shy going up rivers I don't know.

11/10/2021 2:44 pm  #5

Ian, forgive me, but I'm not understanding.

Are you asking of it's viable to head up to the Tim, from magnetawan (as a means of skipping the 3.5km trail - but in exchange for 8 portages that add up to more than 3.5km ) Or asking of it's better just to start and end your trip at Tim access point?

Either way, the Tim between Tim Lake and Rosebary is always a craps shoot for water levels. I was there earlier this year (as soon as the park opened) and water levels were already dangerously low. Obviously this varies throughout the season, but I was surprised at how low it was so early in the year.

11/10/2021 4:06 pm  #6

Sorry Peek, should have been more specific.

I'm looking at either doing the 3.5km portage from Mubwayaka/David Creek to Rosebary OR going through Ralph Bice to Little Trout and heading up the Tim from there.  Would add more miles, but keep me from more than a km of walking with all the consumable gear on Day 1.

From what I'm seeing, it might just be better to start at Tim and end at Magnetewan...

Ian

11/11/2021 10:02 am  #7

Ian,
last August we did a similar trip, starting at the Tim, down the Nip from Big Bob to Burntroot, then back to Magnetewan through the Trout lakes and Misty. We were planning on going up the Tim on the way back west but ended up calling the trip short by a couple of days (from 8 days to 6). We decided going through Misty was likely faster instead of heading up stream, so I cant really answer any Tim River questions specifically. Shoot me a DM if you have any questions, we are posting the videos on you tube now about this trip (3 of 6 days up so far).

Either way, entering through Tim or Mag the area is incredible so you can't go wrong!

11/12/2021 8:20 am  #8

David Creek was barely wider than my kayak in places, but I didn't have any depth/dragging issues in mid-July (or any recollection of being close to bottoming out). The 3.5 km portage used to be a logging road. While it was well on its way to being reclaimed when I was through there it was still a very, very easy portage considering its length. You can certainly go upstream on the Tim after portaging into it it from Queer, but there's some current, it's super windy, and there will be some obstacles. 

Of the two routes David Creek and the 3.5 km portage is probably the easier and shorter of the two, unless David Creek ends up being dry of course - but that's pretty unlikely if you're planning a spring trip. 

11/12/2021 9:22 am  #9

Ditto what Uppa said. I remember traveling solo in early spring down the Nip from Rosebary towards Queer portage and it was a lot of current in some very tight places. I'd definitely avoid an upstream travel in this area in high water. I also happened to love David creek area.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.