You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2021 9:29 pm  #1

Considering this loop shown in Blue (Start access point #10)

Wondering if anybody can shed light on the
Rock  Creek portion of this possible trip.

Thinking a possible Spring trip when water levels
should be higher but would like to know if anybody has
traveled from access#10 to Rock Lake in the recent past

Last edited by Raton_Laveur (10/13/2021 9:48 pm)

10/14/2021 1:47 pm  #2

Re: Considering this loop shown in Blue (Start access point #10)

I went a few years back in late summer when water levels were lower and getting over the beaver dams between the 600m and 55m portages were tough. I would assume in high water they wouldn't be much of a hassle. Going between Rock and White Fish Lakes was bug hell as well when I was there last year. Have a great trip!

10/14/2021 5:09 pm  #3

I did Rock Lake to Fork a couple weeks back. The lower part of the creek, below the P55, was fine for mid September. The part between the P55 and Jean Lake was an exercise in frustration for stretches. Lots of hiking up the creek bed, trying to get the canoe to the next patch of open water while not bailing  on slippery rocks. It doesn’t last forever, but it’s not ideal.

10/14/2021 8:25 pm  #4

Many years ago I did that route as a day trip early in October.  Water levels were good on Rock Creek.   Instead of portaging to Gordon Lake I continued down Rock Creek figuring that if things got too dicey I would be close to the road.   It was more beaver dams followed by a short swift until I came to one beaver dam where the creek made a sharp right turn downstream.  Regrettably I did not scout around the corner before running it and there was enough of a dropoff that I wound up going for a swim.   fortunately, that was the last obstacle on the creek and after a short paddle I was back at the car and changed into dry clothes. I'd certainly choose the creek route again, albeit with more care, than the over 2km of portaging via Gordon Lake.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.