You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2021 10:18 am  #1

Moleskins and blister prevention

Every year it's usually the same for me.  Wet boots/socks usually after the first portage and after a long portage or two blisters usually the same place on my feet.  The moleskins that I find aren't really very good at adhesion especially when wet (which is usually every day) and I'm debating on trying to treat my toes with either some sort of wrap of Moleskin that doesn't lose its adhesive ability when wet in advance of the trip.  I was wondering if such product exists, and what  what others do in this area as well?

10/06/2021 11:21 am  #2

Re: Moleskins and blister prevention

you could try a trick that marathon runners use- put a layer of duct tape over the spot before blisters form, it seals out excess moisture and adds a layer of protection over the skin

Last edited by scoutergriz (10/06/2021 11:22 am)

10/06/2021 2:25 pm  #3

Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I just try and keep my feet dry. I travel solo which is often a pain to unload the boat, especially at poor portage landings, but I still manage to do it without getting my feet wet probably 95% of the time. Instead of looking for a bandaid solution (giving a pretty literal meaning to that expression), why not try and address the root cause by preventing your feet from getting wet in the first place?

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

10/06/2021 4:49 pm  #4

I certainly appreciate all view points.  Including both that have been posted.  Thanks Trippy for your viewpoint, at the very least while not the exact response I had been thinking.  You and I share something in common we both are solo trippers and has certainly made me stop and think how other solo trippers keep their feet dry most always and not myself.  So on that note, I certainly appreciate your point of view.

10/06/2021 5:19 pm  #5

Another suggestion I can give is instead of trying to find waterproof solutions, look for the opposite, footwear with lots of ventilation so that if/when they do get wet, they dry quickly while portaging. I wear these Salomon X Ultra Mehari - they're not made anymore (I was able to find what I think was the last pair in circulation to buy as a backup because I love them so much and know that one day my current pair will give out lol). It's hard to tell from the images but the whole mid section is basically see through; it's extremely ventilated. Unless it's a cold cloudy day, if I do end up getting my feet wet they'll dry fairly quickly provided I'm moving and giving it some airflow.

https://www.amazon.ca/Salomon-L40016500-Mens-X-Ultra/dp/B073JX4DTR

These were the best compromise I was able to find that had amazing ventilation while still providing the support of a proper trail shoe. I didn't want to get a dedicated water shoe because they usually lack a good sole and/or ankle support.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

10/06/2021 8:24 pm  #6

I wet foot exclusively and had the same issue for years before I found my perfect shoes (which happened to be Astral TR1 Merge). In those days I used Nexcare Waterproof Tape, just a single layer wrapped around the suspect toe (preferably before the blisters appeared, but it helped with developing blisters as well). If properly applied this tape will stay in place for many days, something I won't risk with duct tape.

10/07/2021 7:22 am  #7

My method adds some time and a pain in the a** element to portaging, but keeps my feet dry and blister free.  I wear slides in the canoe and step into the water when I get to a take out. When I have everything unloaded, I use a small quick dry towel to dry my feet and put on dry socks and hikers.  At the other end of the portage the shoes and sock come off and the slides go back on.

10/07/2021 10:39 am  #8

the good old duct tape also helps to eliminate plantar worts,,, 

10/07/2021 6:33 pm  #9

EddyTurn wrote:

I wet foot exclusively and had the same issue for years before I found my perfect shoes...

That was the turning point for me.  I spent a couple days going  around trying on hiking shoes until I found a brand that fit my feet well and wear  wool socks underneath. I still deal with pruning and peeling but haven't had a foot blister for a while.  I also make a point of cleaning and airing out my feet as soon as I get to camp to give them time to recover.

And I stay away from gore-tex for summer trips.  It doesn't do any  good when the water is deeper than your shoes and it dries way too slowly.

If anyone wants a good covering  for blisters that have opened up, I use tegaderm, w dressing hospitals use to keep wounds clean.
https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/p/d/v000058079/
If you put it on when dry it's good for a day or two.

Last edited by keg (10/07/2021 6:35 pm)

10/13/2021 7:09 pm  #10

I do a lot of long distance hiking and swear by Leukotape on any sore spots before it turns into a blister. Even afterward you can pop the blister and apply Leukotape over the blister and there should be enough padding there to protect the sore skin. It is very adhesive so will work on damp skin. 

I second what keg is saying, goretex is bad if you are getting wet anyway and it'll take forever to dry out. 

10/15/2021 6:57 am  #11

MoreSmores wrote:

My method adds some time and a pain in the a** element to portaging, but keeps my feet dry and blister free.  I wear slides in the canoe and step into the water when I get to a take out. When I have everything unloaded, I use a small quick dry towel to dry my feet and put on dry socks and hikers.  At the other end of the portage the shoes and sock come off and the slides go back on.

I do the same (except water shoes, not slides). In addition, I just keep my water shoes on for shorter/easier portages that are several hundred metres or less. I ran across one hardcore canoeist this season who had something similar to crocs on doing many long portages over many days and stepping around as if dry land and water were the same - I would think the rubber dries very quickly as it doesn't absorb water. As an aside, my absolute favourite socks for any kind of trekking and running are the Wright Sock double layer. I have never had a blister with these despite long, punishing days.

10/17/2021 4:37 pm  #12

I'm a backpacker and I have found on toes moleskin works.  But my go to in my first aid kit is white hockey stick tape.  I don't know what magic lies within that tape but it will stay on my heels or toes for days covering hot spots or blisters.  Wool socks and white hockey stick tape and I am on the trails for days!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.