You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/25/2021 8:46 am  #1

fall season logging noise on Manitou? (what should I expect?)

I'm heading for my fall trip in the first week of October... I've been hoping to make it to Manitou for a few years.

Looking at the forestry map, there is "fall" logging planned in the area right at Manitou -- a large section on the north-west.
Should I be making a spring trip instead?
I've always avoided stayed well away from areas showing planned logging -- but it seems like I keep skipping this part of the park because of what I see on the forestry map.

I would be base-camping on Manitou for 3 nights -- and will be super grumpy if there is a racket.

Thanks,
B

9/25/2021 3:38 pm  #2

Re: fall season logging noise on Manitou? (what should I expect?)

If you email the Algonquin Forestry Authority they will be able to tell you exactly where and when they will be hauling.  I've emailed them a few times before a trip and they have been a fantastic source of info.  Sometimes even though they are marked as hauling in an area in the fall, they aren't active in the same spot you may be at that time.  They've been very helpful when I've emailed them.

9/28/2021 2:07 pm  #3

Hey there B
Algonquin Forest Authority doesn't allow any kind of logging activities near any lakes, rivers, portages that are used by Backcountry Campers so you shouldn't hear anything.

9/28/2021 6:09 pm  #4

The 'visuals' of logging are regulated by set-backs from lakes, etc. However, the 'sounds' of operations (both cutting and hauling) can carry for considerable distances. That's why the AFA is required to publish mapping of their seasonal Schedule of Operations ... https://algonquinforestry.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/AWS_Webmap-2.pdf .

For insight into the AFA operations, you can reference ... http://www.algonquinadventures.com/forest/ForestIndex.htm . While it's dated, it does detail the CSA certification process.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.