You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/27/2021 9:03 am  #1

site at YorkRiver/HighFalls

Has anyone stayed at the site at "High Falls" on the York River?...  far south of the park
(Seriously, too many falls called "high").

I remember visiting the falls years ago (nice & accessible along an easy hiking trail), but have no memory of checking out the site while I was there.

Thanks!

8/27/2021 9:38 am  #2

Re: site at YorkRiver/HighFalls

I also have hiked there a few times without checking out the site. Found this from a trip report from 2002;

"TimTime to leave Scorch and head for the falls. We had camp broken down and loaded at 8:20 a.m. and headed back across the portage to Branch Lake. We then headed back to Byers and had deja vu as we made our way across strangely familiar territory.

There are many beaver dams on the York so be prepared with water shoes and shorts. One of the damns was quite high (at least 5 feet) but all were either pulled over or portaged. All of the marked portages are short and well maintained and we arrived at our High Falls campsite in time for lunch (beef jerky and tortillas).

We could not see the actual falls from the camp but were right beside a nice little set of rapids that would sing like music to us for the entire stay. The campsite is right on the portage on top of the hill. People using the portage will march right past your tent!

The falls themselves are about 250m farther down the portage path and then marked with a side trail. (Or you can walk down the rocks from the campsite). What can I say about High Falls? WOW! It is a great place to spend a day and there was about 20 or so already there when we arrived. They all came in by the trails that lead from the south.

Sliding down the fallslIt was hard drinking water out of the river when these people were drinking cold pop and beer and eating Doritos! The falls are like a Jacuzzi! You can nestle up on a rock seat and get the portaging pains massaged away. There is even a little waterslide if you have a tough rear end! And it all ends in a cool 7-foot deep pool at the bottom.

We headed home for dinner. Our traditional is to have KD on the last day in. We returned to the falls at about 8:30pm and sipped on some good Canadian whiskey. We lay on the warm rocks and waited for the stars to come out. Satellites, shooting stars….saw em all…those who have done it know how wonderful a time it is! Those who haven’t? I feel sorry for you. My tent site was slanted so I spent the night dreaming of hanging on to a cliff!

NOTE: there is NO PRIVY at this site. Caution is required when walking the woods around the area. Unfortunately some people have not read "How to shit in the woods"e to leave Scorch and head for the falls. We had camp broken down and loaded at 8:20 a.m. and headed back across the portage to Branch Lake. We then headed back to Byers and had deja vu as we made our way across strangely familiar territory.There are many beaver dams on the York so be prepared with water shoes and shorts. One of the damns was quite high (at least 5 feet) but all were either pulled over or portaged. All of the marked portages are short and well maintained and we arrived at our High Falls campsite in time for lunch (beef jerky and tortillas).We could not see the actual falls from the camp but were right beside a nice little set of rapids that would sing like music to us for the entire stay. The campsite is right on the portage on top of the hill. People using the portage will march right past your tent!The falls themselves are about 250m farther down the portage path and then marked with a side trail. (Or you can walk down the rocks from the campsite). What can I say about High Falls? WOW! It is a great place to spend a day and there was about 20 or so already there when we arrived. They all came in by the trails that lead from the south.It was hard drinking water out of the river when these people were drinking cold pop and beer and eating Doritos! The falls are like a Jacuzzi! You can nestle up on a rock seat and get the portaging pains massaged away. There is even a little waterslide if you have a tough rear end! And it all ends in a cool 7-foot deep pool at the bottom.We headed home for dinner. Our traditional is to have KD on the last day in. We returned to the falls at about 8:30pm and sipped on some good Canadian whiskey. We lay on the warm rocks and waited for the stars to come out. Satellites, shooting stars….saw em all…those who have done it know how wonderful a time it is! Those who haven’t? I feel sorry for you. My tent site was slanted so I spent the night dreaming of hanging on to a cliff!NOTE: there is NO PRIVY at this site. Caution is required when walking the woods around the area. Unfortunately some people have not read "How to shit in the woods"

Last edited by oldboyscout (8/27/2021 9:38 am)

8/27/2021 10:49 am  #3

Re: site at YorkRiver/HighFalls

Thanks... sounds like I'll make an alternative plan.

I do remember the set of falls (lots of "jacuzzis") being terrific... but it sounds like the site isn't up to snuff and the area has suffered some day-use abuse... and I really don't like a campsite where a portage trail walks right by or through.

-B

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.