You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2021 11:12 am  #1

David Lake

I just stumbled over a post elsewhere that the park has closed the David Lake island site.
I do not know if that is true.

If so, it's sad news -- though every site needs time to recover from heavy use.

I took a family group to David Lake last year heading for that site...  We arrived literally minutes after the wardens shut the site.  A very large tree was a hazard. (The damage from termites/ants was incredible... there was an amazing quantity of fresh sawdust all over the ground).
The wardens did specifically suggest that we were welcome to come and enjoy the island during the day -- which we did.
The tree would no longer be an issue (it would have been removed almost right away)... but it could just be for this very popular site to recover.

Day tripping over to the island was terrific -- but...
The alternate site was terrible.
It is right next to a rocky marsh which I guess has been spreading... the ground around the firepit actually had a bit of bounce to it.

Again... I do not know for sure that the site has been closed long term... just stumbled over it elsewhere in social media.

9/30/2021 2:11 pm  #2

Re: David Lake

I can confirm I had this booked the other weekend and cancelled in advance. I spoke with the park and they said it will be closed for some time for rejuvenation. I was pumped to get this site booked and then it sucked it was closed but atleast we knew in advance and planned a new trip instead. I support closing it for what is necessary.

10/07/2021 9:22 pm  #3

Unfortunately, it is definitely closed. the site on the island was really nice! And a family loons took over the site for a couple months, and then when the Wardens took a look at the site, they said that it was in rough shape, and that the privy's aren't built deep enough into the shore, so there was the chance of run-off of privy...garbage. So it sucks, but sounds like it's necessary!

2/11/2022 7:23 pm  #4

How can you find out in advance which backcountry sites are closed...I have David booked for the spring and just came across this thread...I see nothing on the Friends of Algonquin site nor the booking site!?! Pretty important if there is only 1 decent site that is closed on a lake with one permit

2/13/2022 6:43 pm  #5

goneagainjon wrote:

How can you find out in advance which backcountry sites are closed...I have David booked for the spring and just came across this thread...I see nothing on the Friends of Algonquin site nor the booking site!?! Pretty important if there is only 1 decent site that is closed on a lake with one permit

Either camp on the other site or rebook.  I am not aware of where you can find which sites are closed.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

2/13/2022 10:03 pm  #6

Thanks boknows!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.