You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/03/2021 9:52 am  #1

Magic 8-Ball points to "Maybe" for a Fall trip

With the border opening, I set up a reservation for a trip I've wanted to take for a few years now.  Magnetawan through to Mubwayaka, from there, over a very long portage to Longbow, from there down Tim to Little Trout, then out.  A four day on-the-move trip, that includes a couple of portages that will test my mettle and a river that will test my patience with beaver dams.

The planning for this is unique because the border situation is so different.  To enter Canada:
1) Upload proof of vaccination to "ArriveCAN"
2) Take a pre-entry COVID test w/in 72 hours of arrival and have results with me (can't be an antigen test).
3) Arrival Test - have to create an online account for this in advance.  In some locations I THINK you take the test right there at the border, at other locations you buy a home test kit that meets certain criteria and take it with you, then self administer at the border.  I'm crossing the Peace Bridge, which apparently has a test facility, but I'm not sure of their hours of operation and I'm crossing at about 4:30am.  Also not sure if it is mandatory or random check.  Gotta figure that out.
4) Use ArriveCAN to submit travel details "up to" or "within" 72 hours of travel, depending on which part of the border website you look at.  Gotta figure that out.

Returning to the U.S.:
1) I can't figure it out.  It is unclear to me if I have to take an entry test upon returning to the U.S., if I have to test in Canada and have results in hand on the drive back, or if I just show up at the border and answer questions.

If the Canadian Border Protection website can be described as an endless loop (because it is), then then U.S. Border Protection website can be described as a broken circle (because it is).

All the while, I'm wondering if the Delta variant is going to kill this trip anyway.  Plus I'm disappointed, and somewhat embarrassed that (after all the whining by politicians here about getting the border opened) the U.S. is not joining Canada in re-opening its border on August 9.

8/03/2021 8:29 pm  #2

Re: Magic 8-Ball points to "Maybe" for a Fall trip

Totally agree! I feel like I've spent better part of my life going through circles on the Border Protection sites. Finally, what I found:
Crossing to Canada - there's no arrival test any more after August 9, though random testing at the border is possible. Here's the summary:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/phac-aspc/documents/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/awareness-resource/re-opening-canada-border/re-opening-canada-borders-phase2-eng.pdf

Crossing to the US - there's no additional covid-related  requirements for US citizens, just show up with usual documents.

8/04/2021 12:03 pm  #3

Thanks for that update.  Like the man said, "changes aren't permanent, but change is."

Going to have to keep an eye on this for changes!

8/05/2021 5:49 pm  #4

Beware of incoming Canadian Border Services strike. I'd rather postpone a trip than hit the crossing when agents are advised to "Ask travelers every question in your book".

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.