You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2021 11:35 am  #18

Re: lots of garbage from new campers??

nvm. Thanks for doing that, that was not your responsibility but your actions I'm sure made the next peoples visit to that site much more pleasurably.
Unfortunately with COVID we have had a influx of new campers coming to the park, I have often wondered about a per site reservation system this way you would always know who was on the site before you.
It would be easy to take pictures to the park office and have said party banned from the park. not sure if that's the answer but it a starting point.
Then again maybe it was Clarkey71's tent that you removed, maybe just looking for kick back on the profits LOL
Bottom line, Respect the Park.
Cheers,

7/23/2021 12:46 pm  #19

@nvm  If you would've put that much effort into your first post then odds are I would've read it and not responded.  But it was the picture that got me wondering if maybe you accidently pilfered a campsite occupied with a ghost tent.  The tent looked fairly sealed.  For if I was going to be the laziest camper in Algonquin and I had decided that I was going to abandoned my site and a whole bunch of gear odds are I doubt I'd waste the energy zipping up the tent.  Since I was leaving it why would I be worried if the inside of the tent got wet etc..     It's nice to actually get your whole story.  

@ cadman_705  It's not my tent.  Although, I did laugh. 

7/23/2021 2:38 pm  #20

Fair enough, it was a lot of typing though . I've gotta say if I was leaving I probably still would have been inclined to take the rum, but I've come to learn that I can't explain other people's behaviour. 

I did read the ghost tent thread on MyCCR and to me it seemed like most people were not sympathetic to them, and would happily take them down. Of course no one is suggesting dismantling someone else's active campsite, but it's pretty easy to tell the difference (IE, is the tent a cheap piece of junk that's completely empty and just acting as a space holder, usually monitored for days). Most of that conversation referred to crown land, but leaving ghost tents in Algonquin is surely against the rules as well as being morally dubious.

7/23/2021 7:20 pm  #21

Agree with you 100% nvm. It was either abandoned or set illegally as a 'placeholder' for covert stays which is at least equally (or more) reprehensible. I encountered a similar thing a few years back on Maple Leaf Lake where a green North Face tent was established at a nice site that turned out to be vacant after all. It didn't register until another dejected backpacker with family in tow couldn't figure out how the three preferred sites were occupied despite being only three reservations and no on else came back to the site afterwards. I say good on you either way for disassembling abandoned/illegally placed materials and making a few bucks back to cover the trouble!
Cheers,
Rich

7/24/2021 6:43 am  #22

Cadman_705 wrote:

nvm. 
Unfortunately with COVID we have had a influx of new campers coming to the park, I have often wondered about a per site reservation system this way you would always know who was on the site before you.
It would be easy to take pictures to the park office and have said party banned from the park. not sure if that's the answer but it a starting point.

actually that system is no better, because that site can sit for hours or days after the last "registered camper" left, leaving it open to abuse by other trippers, picnikers, anglers, and anyone else that went by during that time. Stopping at a vacant site for lunch is very commonplace, and "punishing" the former occupant for something that's out of their control only exacerbates the situation.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.