You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/14/2021 11:36 am  #1

Sunday Lake - can you access from logging road?

are you allowed to drive up the logging road to Sunday Lake to access and do a canoe trip from there? i see that road from the big pines tralihead and curious if others have driven into Sunday Lake and parked there for a trip?

7/14/2021 12:42 pm  #2

Re: Sunday Lake - can you access from logging road?

It's a bit of a grey area,  The road heads up about 300m before you hit the gate that's the start of the logging area and widens up a bit so you can park.  I put my sedan up there for a weekend with no issues, you just gotta make sure there's room to get by,
I'm not sure if you'd get a ticket parking up there, but insofar I've never heard of people getting dinged.

7/15/2021 2:29 pm  #3

IanTendy wrote:

It's a bit of a grey area,  The road heads up about 300m before you hit the gate that's the start of the logging area and widens up a bit so you can park.  I put my sedan up there for a weekend with no issues, you just gotta make sure there's room to get by,
I'm not sure if you'd get a ticket parking up there, but insofar I've never heard of people getting dinged.

What Ian said. I was in there this spring for a day trip and parked up there. I saw a Park vehicle and nothing was said, so I took that as a good sign. But I don't know whether it's actually technically allowed or not. There is a sign at the Big Pines lot saying that road is off limits to unauthorized use, but does accessing Sunday Lake count as authorized use? I'm not sure. I do know you can't go past the second set of gates.

7/17/2021 5:19 pm  #4

I did that Sunday lake trip in 2018 as we had several youngsters on the trip & not much muscle, so wanted something easy to get into the backcountry.  At the time I had been backcountry camping in Algonquin for around 25yrs (although I fit the amateur Jeff's maps category, speed/double carry, etc) & have never before run into park wardens.  Ran into 2 at the start of the portage.  They didn't say anything about parking at the 150m portage, we parked 2 cars, just a bit up from the portage where it's a bit wider (not past the gate, in another thread others reported you will get a ticket if you go past the gate even temporarily).  Wardens didn't ask for anything... permits, fishing license, etc. 

Jeffs Map shows it as a secondary access point (A43), so that is why I thought it was OK to start from there, but who knows, maybe it is like speeding, there is a bit of leeway before you get a ticket.  So similar to the message from Lawyers on Jeff's Maps, my advice is worth what you paid for it, I can't say for sure it is legal, I can only relate that I didn't have any issues starting & parking from there, even with running into park Wardens.

However, I am curious if you were considering Sunday lake primarily for looking like an easy trip?  The next year in 2019 the same group did Opeongo South arm, which I would say, can be tricky if the wind does not co-operate, but there are several close campsites to the Opeongo access/starting point.  Plus you are starting on water, so zero portaging.  I apparently wear trout repellent so none of us had any luck fishing for the stocked Splake on Sunday lake. While on Opeongo, the youngsters caught several smallmouth bass.  So I would say Opeongo was a much more popular destination than Sunday lake.

7/20/2021 6:11 pm  #5

Hey friends, I hope this link works but there was a recent thread discussing this in detail:

https://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=3266

I'm heading up to Sunday Lake myself in the next little while. To be honest, I'm still not exactly clear whether we'll be able to park up by the portage or not. I'm going to call the park tomorrow and see what they say, I'll report back. 

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

7/21/2021 2:07 pm  #6

thanks for the notes and thoughts. i've just wanted to visit this lake and was curious on the "rules" of that road/access. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.