You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/17/2021 5:27 pm  #1

Wilkins Lake, smallmouth bass?

Just thinking of getting away from crowds & into low maintenance routes.  Somehow I always seem to be wearing trout repellent so I prefer to be on lakes with fish other than just trout lakes.  Jeff's maps shows Wilkins lake as having Lake Trout & Smallmouth Bass. However, MNR Fish ON-Line does not show Wilkins as having any Bass. 

Does anyone who has been there know if there in fact are Smallies there?

7/17/2021 7:11 pm  #2

Re: Wilkins Lake, smallmouth bass?

I was the one who told Jeff about the smallies. Caught one myself, though they're not plentiful. Definitely not your typical bass habitat except perhaps the north end. Nice lake, more of a trout lake though.

Last edited by Zemantics (7/17/2021 8:05 pm)

7/18/2021 11:34 am  #3

Will you be acessing from Ayalen lake?? I went as far as Robitaille  a few years back solo. Tho two portages were tough slogs FYI. Beautifull area though and not a soul around.  Get directions to park from the marina. Will save time paddling up Aylen.  Tough on a windy day.

7/18/2021 5:20 pm  #4

Thanks for the first hand confirmation @Zemantics!!  I'll put Wilkins on my to visit lakes.

@Shayne74, If I can get some time off work to go, I think I will try to get up to Jeff's map 18b access point & use the cart trail.  I fully believe you that the those low maintenance portages will be tough!! So I think the cart trail will be the easier path in.  I would be going with my Lab, so there is also some appeal in that cart trail, let him burn off some energy.

7/18/2021 8:39 pm  #5

Awesome! My fingers are crossed for you..
Enjoy!

7/18/2021 9:45 pm  #6

The cart trail isn't bad. Been in there many times. A bit of uphill but that's about it. You can take the left fork (can't miss it) to cut to the ope river and head to Alsever but I wouldn't recommend that turn as a means of going to Wilkins. It's an ankle trap from the the trail up to Wilkins on that route.

7/19/2021 4:27 pm  #7

@Zemantics & @Shayne74, thanks both of you for the info!!  I will definitely put Wilkins up on my list of lakes to visit via cart trail.

I have one extended family trip booked for Opeongo South arm in Aug, but that will not be a vacation, if you know what I mean.  More like a vacation for the kids, but plenty of work for me... If I can get off work for another 3 days (tough to do being on the front lines) for a "solo" trip (never really alone with my Lab) this summer I want to make it out to Wilkins.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.