You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2021 8:15 am  #1

Park traffic?

Heading up to Potter next week for a 2 night'er.  I was just curious as to how busy the park has been so far.  Last year Canoe lake was nuts and finding parking was a real chore. I expect it to be similar this year coming out of another "lock down".  Will there be more newbies? lol 

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

7/06/2021 8:55 am  #2

Re: Park traffic?

Kiosk was busy last weekend but it was to be expected given the long weekend. We arrived early on the Thursday to get a head start on the masses and secured some primo parking. 
Newbies? Oh yeah. Thurs night we had some backcountry campers on their first trip ever paddle by our camp at 10:30pm in the dark trying to get a site with no flashlight. We ended up letting them stay at our site which, if it didn't help save their lives, most certainly saved their relationship.
Something to hang our food? No, why?
Oh dear...

7/06/2021 9:01 am  #3

RCSpartan wrote:

Kiosk was busy last weekend but it was to be expected given the long weekend. We arrived early on the Thursday to get a head start on the masses and secured some primo parking. 
Newbies? Oh yeah. Thurs night we had some backcountry campers on their first trip ever paddle by our camp at 10:30pm in the dark trying to get a site with no flashlight. We ended up letting them stay at our site which, if it didn't help save their lives, most certainly saved their relationship.
Something to hang our food? No, why?
Oh dear...

Wow that is scary.  It never ceases to amaze me how unprepared and un-skilled some folks are when heading out into the backcountry. 
We had a similar scenario last year with some young boys, although it wasn't quiet dark yet.  Needless to say the didn't make it to their planned lake and they ended up camping on the portage across from our site. 

7/07/2021 11:50 am  #4

Saw it last year at Kiosk also. I don't understand how someone could undertake such a trip and not at least watch a couple of youtube videos or something just to get a feel for what they're likely to encounter

Last edited by oldboyscout (7/07/2021 11:51 am)

7/07/2021 12:02 pm  #5

oldboyscout wrote:

I don't understand how someone could undertake such a trip and not at least watch a couple of youtube videos or something just to get a feel for what they're likely to encounter

While I generally agree, you have to keep in mind that YouTube is full of people who have been on a couple, maybe a few trips max, yet portray themselves as 'pros'. Then go on to make videos/write articles on how to camp/what to do, when they themselves don't have the experience, haven't made the mistakes and haven't spent more than a month (IF that) cumulatively in the bush. I've seen/read plenty of videos/articles full tips and tricks that are either illogical or sometimes just a bad/dangerous idea. So who knows - maybe these groups are watching videos - and think they're doing what you're supposed to do. A lot of posers out there, that's for sure.

7/07/2021 12:38 pm  #6

oldboyscout wrote:

Saw it last year at Kiosk also. I don't understand how someone could undertake such a trip and not at least watch a couple of youtube videos or something just to get a feel for what they're likely to encounter

First thing should learn how to do is paddle a canoe so they aren't zig zagging across the lake.  Path of the Paddle should be a prerequisite watch for any newbie. Then once they are decent enough at paddling learn the basics of backcountry camping. 

It's not something that should be learnt on the fly unless you are with experienced people. 

7/07/2021 5:48 pm  #7

I agree with Peek, I stopped watching Youtube "instructional" videos years ago because most of them are downright dangerous if not outright terrifying!

7/07/2021 6:41 pm  #8

oldboyscout wrote:

I can't count how many times I see people in YouTube videos eating in their tent, feeding wildlife, talking about "I think we'll camp on this lake instead tonight" (not following their permits), and countless other things that would actually be worse for new campers to watch.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/08/2021 9:15 am  #9

trippythings wrote:

oldboyscout wrote:

I can't count how many times I see people in YouTube videos eating in their tent, feeding wildlife, talking about "I think we'll camp on this lake instead tonight" (not following their permits), and countless other things that would actually be worse for new campers to watch.

I guess I'm a little more discerning in the videos I watch. . . . . .  LOL
But yeah I agree there are a lot of bad videos out there. I was just wondering why anyone would head out into the wilderness with absolutely zero experience. Or knowledge

Last edited by oldboyscout (7/08/2021 9:17 am)

7/08/2021 11:53 am  #10

The people who we encountered were definitely car campers and in their mind they believed it would a similar experience. Just roll up to the access at whatever hour, paddle in and voila...

It was definitely a wake up call for the couple and guaranteed they won't make the same mistakes (hopefully) again. Heck, they may have been turned off from the experience altogether. 

I was lucky that my first trips were with people who knew what they were doing so I got a sense of hanging food, purifying water, footwear, packing etc... I know there are vids out there but I nothing compares to first hand experience. After that, sometimes you just have to make mistakes and learn from them.

7/11/2021 7:21 pm  #11

Wait, you’re not supposed to eat in your tent? But it’s so convenient, what with my stove set up in the corner and everything.

trippythings wrote:

oldboyscout wrote:

7/12/2021 7:14 am  #12

AlgonquinLakes--Wait, you’re not supposed to eat in your tent? But it’s so convenient, what with my stove set up in the corner and everything.

LOL!!!!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.