You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2021 8:47 am  #1

Bug report 2021

Hoping the lockdown ends by next week and we are able to get out and feed the bugs with our COVID-enriched blood. With this in mind... anyone have an idea of how it's going with the bugs?

My trip is planned for June 7, and wondering if regular bug shirt will do, or should I plan on bringing plate mail.

Cheers!

5/27/2021 11:08 am  #2

Re: Bug report 2021

Just go by the Weather Network 'Bug Report' which is showing the bugs in Algonquin as green/low. Sounds like a t-shirt and shorts are all you need!

I'll never make that mistake again...

5/27/2021 12:22 pm  #3

RCSpartan wrote:

Just go by the Weather Network 'Bug Report' which is showing the bugs in Algonquin as green/low. Sounds like a t-shirt and shorts are all you need!

I'll never make that mistake again...

aahahahahahahahahahaahha whoever authors that bug report should be charged with assault 🤣

5/27/2021 12:57 pm  #4

Ha. I was more thinking perjury but I can get onboard with assault as well. 

6/28/2021 10:42 am  #5

Any update on bugs? Kiosk area.

6/28/2021 11:28 am  #6

I was in the Brent area last week if that helps. A few black flies still around, some deer flies, but mainly mosquitoes. As long as it was windy, my campsites were almost bug free. Out of the wind however, eg on portages and small rivers, the bugs could be ferocious.

6/29/2021 7:06 am  #7

I was on the Madawaska last week. Minimal bugs. No black flies, only a few mosquitoes.

6/30/2021 1:19 pm  #8

We just got back from a 10 day trip via Canoe, Tom Thomson, Macintosh, Misty, White Trout, Big Trout, Otterslide, Burnt Island and Canoe.  We were amazed at how few bugs there were.  Blackflies appeared to be gone but a few familiar looking bites on my ankles suggest there were a few of them still around, likely on the day we travelled from Misty to White Trout.  Mosquitos were few in number and on most portages we had no need of bug jackets or DEET.   Mosquitos did come out at dusk but never in large numbers.   Unfortunately, the large amount of rain we got on our trip probably means there will be bumper crop of mosquitos for paddlers in July.

Last edited by yellowcanoe (6/30/2021 1:26 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.