You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/27/2021 8:04 am  #1

Cot-for the backcountry

I'm looking for information on the possibility on bringing a cot into the backcountry.  I'm wondering if there is anything out there that is light enough and collapsible enough that can be carried on a backback/canoepack.  I'm aware the Thermarest does make one, but I'm looking for something that isn't low to the ground.

The reason I'm asking, is I'm looking at taking a family member for one more canoe trip.  He's 73 years old, and doesn't like having to get up off the ground in the night.

Thanks in advance everyone.

6/27/2021 4:06 pm  #2

Re: Cot-for the backcountry

Is a double height air mattress high enough? I take 1 with a battery operated pump for my wife for the same reason and probably still lighter than a metal framed cot. Plus much easier to pack.

6/27/2021 11:04 pm  #3

Thanks Rob, a double high mattress is definitely better I’ll look into it.

7/01/2021 9:40 am  #4

Consider the Thermarest MondoKing XXL, it's essentially half a queen sized mattress and just as comfortable. I've carried them into the backcountry to ensure the most comfortable (and less complaining) sleep for my wife and kids. The only issue you'd have is having something else in the tent to help support your family member when they try to get up and down.

7/02/2021 7:10 am  #5

solos wrote:

Consider the Thermarest MondoKing XXL, it's essentially half a queen sized mattress and just as comfortable. I've carried them into the backcountry to ensure the most comfortable (and less complaining) sleep for my wife and kids. The only issue you'd have is having something else in the tent to help support your family member when they try to get up and down.

thanks very much! I’ll definitely look into it.  

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.