You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/18/2021 12:22 pm  #1

Gouinlock Lake

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has experience camping at Gouinlock lake?  It is connected to little Cauchon Lake by a 725m low maintenance portage.  The two sites on the lake are low maintenance.

thanks!

6/18/2021 1:33 pm  #2

Re: Gouinlock Lake

When camping on Gouinlocks, beware of an annoying generator noise coming from the cottage on Little Cauchon near the port!!
Markus wrote extensively about this, and his follow up communications with The Park, in a trip-log several years ago.

http://www.markinthepark.com/triplogs/triplog91/triplog91day1.html

Last edited by Stainless (6/18/2021 4:15 pm)

6/18/2021 8:59 pm  #3

First time I was in that area in 1983 I am pretty sure the portage to Gouinlock was across the lawn of the cottage you are referring to!   We camped on the south campsite on Gouinlock last summer and it was a really nice site.   No one was at the cottage at that time so we didn't hear any generator noise.

6/19/2021 9:36 am  #4

Thanks for the info everyone greatly appreciated.  

6/19/2021 11:38 am  #5

would you like some cheese with that whine????

6/19/2021 10:48 pm  #6

Ya that there feedback Swede is mighty interesting , I agree .
There is so much information available to understand the unique lease holders of Algonquin Park , other than the nostalgic Canoe Lake , Cedar Lake ... and many others .
An old fart comment many may not care for ... I did enjoy the the light and sound of the train creeping up the North side of Grand Lake .
The sound of a generator ... not so bad ?
The sound of caribou grunting in NWT .... very special .
Algonquin Park is so special with a rich history of both , human animal sounds and many of the wild world .
Go Habs Go !

Last edited by CptCanadaSid3Cups (6/19/2021 11:35 pm)

6/20/2021 6:06 pm  #7

Thanks for the comments Captain!  I appreciate your comments on the railway as I grew up in a railway family.  I would’ve liked to have seen the train pass through the park at least once.  I wasn’t living in Ontario when it stopped.  But I certainly enjoy reading the history on it.  

CptCanadaSid3Cups wrote:

Ya that there feedback Swede is mighty interesting , I agree .
There is so much information available to understand the unique lease holders of Algonquin Park , other than the nostalgic Canoe Lake , Cedar Lake ... and many others .
An old fart comment many may not care for ... I did enjoy the the light and sound of the train creeping up the North side of Grand Lake .
The sound of a generator ... not so bad ?
The sound of caribou grunting in NWT .... very special .
Algonquin Park is so special with a rich history of both , human animal sounds and many of the wild world .
Go Habs Go !

6/20/2021 6:44 pm  #8

i always have several pairs of ear plugs in my kit,, i  just put them in and surrender my soul to the universe!!

Last edited by swedish pimple (6/20/2021 11:14 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.