You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/07/2021 10:34 am  #1

Best Solo Canoe

I will be looking to rent a canoe or kayak for a solo paddle or two this year.  I've mainly done  kayak or canoe with a partner.  Note .. I like stability .. I hate a "tippy canoe" ... so the more stable the better.  It will be 2-3 night trips ... I usually bring a backpack and a barrel ... I dont care about single carry since I dont foresee long portages.  For a kayak same thing  . stability .. I have a couple of kayaks but they are not suitable to carry very much.    

If you have recommendations on brand, outfitter, length, etc. that would be great ... anything .. I'll take it.  

Thanks

6/07/2021 2:18 pm  #2

Re: Best Solo Canoe

I have a Souris River Tranquility solo.  The first time I had it out, I found it unstable, but I was demoing a kayak paddle (with one broken blade), in high winds, in April/May, without any gear/ballast, and it was quite cold.  I can't remember if the seat was in the upper or lower position at the time, but since then I've found it very stable.  I've paddled many large lakes with nasty crosswinds since.

It's fast, and light.  It's great for long straight distances, but you'll work a bit harder in curvy rivers and creeks.  It's a combination of the center seat, and the design of the hull.  I've taken it down many windy rivers and creeks (Maple Creek last summer, and the Nippissing for example).

I'm very happy with it, but I don't have much other solo canoe experience to compare it to.

6/07/2021 2:26 pm  #3

Rent a Swift pack boat. The carry space and stability of a canoe but the paddling (and to some extent the speed) of a kayak. I know Algonquin Outfitters rents them. 

6/07/2021 2:36 pm  #4

The swift keewaydin is a nice boat and AO rents both the canoe seat and pak boat versions.

6/07/2021 2:57 pm  #5

I test drove the Prospector 14 pack boat and the Keewaydin 15 at AO a couple years back.  I found the Keewaydin 15 to be more stable.

6/07/2021 3:15 pm  #6

I’ve taken the keewaydin pack canoe, 15 footer, for the last 4 years on trips as long as 8 days. I love it. Stable, easy to steer in any kind of wind. I’ve rented from AO in dwight, those boats are in great demand in the summer months, so hopefully you’ll be able to get it.

6/08/2021 8:27 am  #7

I'm reading some good things online about all the recommendation you have all made ...  many thanks .. 

6/08/2021 2:53 pm  #8

UpTheCreek wrote:

I have a Souris River Tranquility solo.  The first time I had it out, I found it unstable, but I was demoing a kayak paddle (with one broken blade), in high winds, in April/May, without any gear/ballast, and it was quite cold.  I can't remember if the seat was in the upper or lower position at the time, but since then I've found it very stable....

Ya, that'll learn ya right quick!     

Dave

6/10/2021 1:33 pm  #9

Uppa wrote:

Rent a Swift pack boat. The carry space and stability of a canoe but the paddling (and to some extent the speed) of a kayak. I know Algonquin Outfitters rents them. 

^ this
I rented a Pack 13.6 in Kevlar Fusion (26lbs) and loved it so much I bought one upon dropping off the rental. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.