You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/07/2021 10:22 am  #1

Maple or Erables

Which lake do you prefer, Maple or Erables? Why?
Should I be concerned at all about taking Maple Creek south from Kiosk at the beginning of July?

6/07/2021 2:11 pm  #2

Re: Maple or Erables

Both Maple and Erables have some nice sites.  I've stayed on both, and it's a short portage between the two. There's a bit more space on Erables, so you're less likely to hear a neighbour, and you'll see less traffic. 

With Maple Creek, the higher the water the better.  So earlier in the season should be better.  I've only paddled Maple Creek in late July, and early August.  You should be fine.

6/07/2021 2:25 pm  #3

Having not actually been out yet this year, I still feel safe in calling it a low water year - not much snow, and a bone-dry Spring. So if you were ever to get in trouble in July on Maple Creek it just might be this year. But I don't think I've heard of it becoming downright unnavigable, so I imagine you'll survive. Upstream isn't terribly fun - the 805 meter portage, in particular, is a very steep climb. 

Maple and Erables are both nice, as UpTheCreek said. I'm partial to the two island sites next to each other on the South of Maple - they're both really nice - but then of course you've also got a good chance of having a neighbour very close. 

6/07/2021 3:21 pm  #4

I paddled Maple creek towards Kiosk in August in extremely low water year and the only small problem was wading through the muck on the lake itself after we exit the creek. The creek also required a bit of wading, but the sandy bottom shallows were very comfortable.
If your are concerned which lake to reserve, we found Erables to have better campsites, i.e. more picturesque, but in my opinion campsite tastes very tremendously and unless you know personal preferences of an adviser following the advice doesn't make much sense.

6/08/2021 8:15 am  #5

I'd recommend staying on Erables as well.  It's nice campsites are more spread out than on Maple.

6/14/2021 2:51 pm  #6

Thanks, everyone. All that information is helpful. We have booked Erables.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.