You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/29/2021 3:27 pm  #69

Re: Lockdown extension?

It is so disappointing to come to realization that I live in an idiocracy!

5/29/2021 3:39 pm  #70

yellowcanoe wrote:

It is so disappointing to come to realization that I live in an idiocracy!

Time to start lobbying like the golfers and boaters, seemed to work out well for them!
I don’t understand the extended ban on camping since we have exceeded the percent vaccinated benchmark as well as cases and hospitalizations plummeting.
But that’s my opinion and might be biased based on multiple cancellations thus far.

5/29/2021 4:11 pm  #71

MartinG wrote:

I have a trip starting on the 4th on Crown land. Don't actually get into the park until the 7th. Very awkward.

Looks like even crown land is closed?

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-extends-some-covid-19-orders-past-june-2-including-ban-on-recreational-camping-and-provincial-border-closures-1.5448142

So crazy!!!!

5/29/2021 4:29 pm  #72

Sits here thinking that my spring trip is slowly becoming my fall trip. Sighhhhhhhhhhhh

5/29/2021 5:07 pm  #73

I'm going down madawaska, but staying at private campgrounds. apparently that's fine. so... yea. Jessups here I come!!

5/29/2021 5:34 pm  #74

Here's the text of the letter I am about to send via post office mail to Doug Ford.   It takes more effort to prepare and send a letter via the post office than filling in a web form so I am hoping doing so will carry more weight.   I hope all of you also take time to write our premier and ideally your own MPP, especially if you have a Conservative one.

I am writing regarding the ongoing Covid-19 lockdowns.  Over 60% of adults in Ontario have been vaccinated and that percentage is increasing every day.   We know that the vaccines are quite effective in protecting people from getting Covid-19 and if they do get infected they are far less likely to require hospitalization.  My understanding is that in jurisdictions that have achieved a high level of vaccination that hospital admissions are dominated by those who are not vaccinated.  For example the following article https://www.koat.com/article/state-nearly-all-covid-19-patients-hospitalized-are-not-vaccinated/36424115#  indicates that in the state of New Mexico 99% of hospital admissions for Covid-19 are people who had not been vaccinated.
Despite the fact that vaccines are quite effective in keeping people from requiring hospitalization your government persists in imposing broad reaching lockdowns that impact everyone in this province.   It’s time to find ways to start opening up more activities to the majority who have received at least one dose of vaccine.
The current ban on backcountry camping is especially perplexing.   We go backcountry camping to get away from people.   The chances of contracting Covid-19 while backcountry camping are pretty much non-existent.
We are totally fed up with these endless lockdowns and we do not see ourselves as the source of the problem.  If your government persists in treating vaccinated people like children, I assure you that we will do everything in our power to ensure that your government is not reelected in the next election.

5/29/2021 7:42 pm  #75

I get the frustration but he has pretty much said the restrictions are in place to limit travel.
I am in Northern Ontario surrounded by crown land sitting on a river trip starting in town and ending 20k out of town with my wife doing the shuttle and I can not pitch a tent solo. I could just go but disappearing from town and then being seen arriving with the canoe on the roof is asking for a visit from assorted levels of government.
Again  Sighhhhhh

5/30/2021 7:05 am  #76

Rob wrote:

I get the frustration but he has pretty much said the restrictions are in place to limit travel.
I am in Northern Ontario surrounded by crown land sitting on a river trip starting in town and ending 20k out of town with my wife doing the shuttle and I can not pitch a tent solo. I could just go but disappearing from town and then being seen arriving with the canoe on the roof is asking for a visit from assorted levels of government.
Again Sighhhhhh

that may be the plan, but it's not reality- reality is that if you can afford a cottage or to play golf, you can drive 4 hours for your game or weekend cottage get away, and  stop for a couple of beers on the patio, yet I can't drive 5 minute to use my local campground, this in reality has little to do with travel and more to do with not inconveniencing those supporters that can afford to pay into his "campaign fund"

5/30/2021 7:16 am  #77

Don't forget if you have a pleasure craft you can now cruise the canal systems.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.