You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2021 1:19 pm  #1

Almost there

So it appears we are about to hit the 60% target. Hopefully an announcement will be forthcoming to clarify a new date for step 1.

5/25/2021 2:24 pm  #2

Re: Almost there

I think they want to wait a few days, post long weekend to see if there are any spikes. So far so good. We may be very close!

5/25/2021 2:28 pm  #3

A tad over one thousand cases today and combined with the near sixty we are doing well. Anyone have Doug's phone number? I'll call him and let him know. Might send him some beer to help sweeten the deal.

5/25/2021 3:49 pm  #4

They have been pretty clear about the 60% requirement to move to step 1 but less clear about how many daily cases, positivity rate, icu and hospitalization numbers they need to see before we get step 1. Hopefully those numbers come in the next few days because if we didn’t hit 60% today, we will tomorrow.

5/25/2021 5:29 pm  #5

His cottage is on Fawn Lake I believe just off Stephenson rd 1 on route to the park.  Drop off  a case on the way north. Drop another on Balsam chutes road for me lmao!!.

5/25/2021 8:49 pm  #6

Shall we give him the buck a beer stuff ?  

5/25/2021 8:57 pm  #7

Based on the government's plan, we have already passed the 60% mark (likely this past Saturday) as the benchmark is based on ages 18+ receiving the vaccination. Also anxiously awaiting a Step One date, and hoping (for purely selfish reasons) that it's June 6th or before...

Last edited by hiker72 (5/25/2021 8:59 pm)

5/26/2021 6:06 am  #8

hiker72,
Yes. Exactly.

Sent this email to Colin D'Mello, CTV News last Sunday.  

Colin,Thanks for your coverage of COVID Ontario. By what numbers I can find, we are presently at 63% of Ontario adult population vaccinated.  Why no mention from media or govt on achieving this major milestone? Regards, a would be wilderness canoe camper...   

Last edited by spect8r (5/26/2021 6:10 am)

5/26/2021 7:47 am  #9

it'll be closer to 2 weeks before we see the blip, if any, due to the May 2-4 weekend. I suspect this is what they want to see. If there is a larger rise than expected then an opened up for Canada Day unlikely.

Dave

5/26/2021 2:23 pm  #10

Correction I sent an email to Mr D'Mello,  see it was to his bell media account, looks like he's now with CTV and cant find an account with them.  Oh well.

I guess point is 60% of Ontario adults plus 2 weeks, and hitting other milestones is closest thing to an opening plan we have, but we dont even have clarity on where we are with the 60%.

George

5/26/2021 4:40 pm  #11

5/26/2021 5:38 pm  #12

I’m reading a lot of speculation but from what I’m digging up the cases are dropping quickly enough but hospitalizations and ICU cases are not.

There seems to be a big push to get schools back open for some reason I can’t quite understand. June is usually a waste of time for school anyway, why rush them back and risk another jump in cases?

If they do choose to open schools, they won’t be likely to open other aspects at the same time.

Disclosure:2 kids both in school.

5/26/2021 8:17 pm  #13

Jdbonney wrote:

I’m reading a lot of speculation but from what I’m digging up the cases are dropping quickly enough but hospitalizations and ICU cases are not.

There seems to be a big push to get schools back open for some reason I can’t quite understand. June is usually a waste of time for school anyway, why rush them back and risk another jump in cases?

If they do choose to open schools, they won’t be likely to open other aspects at the same time.

Disclosure:2 kids both in school.

Excellent points. The school situation is curious and I also wonder what the point would be to re-open at this stage given everything else. I hate to say it, but based on everything going on I remain pessimistic about much else opening up prior to the communicated June 14th date.

5/27/2021 7:32 am  #14

This article suggests that in the state of New Mexico 99% of new hospital admissions for Covid are people who were not vaccinated.    https://www.koat.com/article/state-nearly-all-covid-19-patients-hospitalized-are-not-vaccinated/36424115#   I haven't seen numbers for Ontario but it certainly illustrates that the vaccines are quite effective at keeping people from getting sick to the point that they require hospitalization.  Unfortunately I don't have similar statistics for Ontario but I think we can assume the same trend is taking place with hospitalizations largely coming from the still shrinking segment of the population that for whatever reason has not been vaccinated.   As a larger share of the population become vaccinated and thus pose a much smaller risk to the hospital system I think it becomes harder and harder to justify a global lockdown that impacts everyone.    

5/27/2021 7:42 am  #15

Jdbonney wrote:

every teacher I've talked to says it's a complete waste of time because 90% of then month will be testing and review, then when September hits, 90% of the month will be testing and review again.
while none seem to be enjoying their new 12 hour days working at home (6 hrs teaching, 4 hours doing one on one for those that don't learn well on line or need remedial help, 2 hrs marking, grading, and lesson plans) they think forcing this on kids twice is just wrong. 

5/27/2021 10:20 am  #16

The chief medical officer and other health units along with Childrens mental health are the ones calling for the kids to go back to school.  We are in a children's mental health crisis (e.g. CHEO here in Ottawa said they are up well over 200% increase over last year for mental health services) and its for that reason that they want them back in class ... agreed that the month of June usually carries the least amount of work but the benefit of having kids together again is huge .. even for a few weeks.   

5/27/2021 10:24 am  #17

yellowcanoe wrote:

This article suggests that in the state of New Mexico 99% of new hospital admissions for Covid are people who were not vaccinated.    https://www.koat.com/article/state-nearly-all-covid-19-patients-hospitalized-are-not-vaccinated/36424115#   I haven't seen numbers for Ontario but it certainly illustrates that the vaccines are quite effective at keeping people from getting sick to the point that they require hospitalization.  Unfortunately I don't have similar statistics for Ontario but I think we can assume the same trend is taking place with hospitalizations largely coming from the still shrinking segment of the population that for whatever reason has not been vaccinated.   As a larger share of the population become vaccinated and thus pose a much smaller risk to the hospital system I think it becomes harder and harder to justify a global lockdown that impacts everyone.    

I believe this is mostly true. I haven’t heard specifically of anyone with a first dose being hospitalized but it is still possible. It’s extremely unlikely once you receive your second dose but we have a very small number of people with 2 doses.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.