You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/13/2021 10:02 pm  #18

Re: Lockdown extension?

Lenny wrote:

I stand with @ATVenture and have no problem with his actions. This is ridiculous. These lockdowns should have ended a year ago. 

Agreed. Especially knowing what we now know about the virus.

5/14/2021 1:04 am  #19

The way I am hearing it is AT LEAST three weeks.

Disappointing to see people packing into a downtown, ah, park-ette in Toronto.

5/14/2021 6:14 am  #20

June 2nd I hope? Considering all the hype it did seem like the long weekend was a bad choice for reopening. Last camping was a weekend at Mew Lake back in March. Terrible wind the whole time and had two trees beside our site that shed large amounts of wood. Widow maker type of stuff.

The specks are safe once again from my fish pole this spring. Curses, foiled again!

Last edited by petey (5/14/2021 6:14 am)

5/14/2021 4:42 pm  #21

Public Health Agency of Canada has issued reopening guidance and if I’m reading it right they’re saying that once 75% of the country is vaccinated they’ll allow partial reopening, including camping.

Right now Ontario is at 43% for first doses. Based on the government’s COVID Tracker, just under  1% of the population got vaccinated yesterday.  Assuming the pace stays constant (and hopefully it won’t, hopefully it’s still picking up steam) that’s another month at least before they start to open up for things like camping.

That’s not ideal.

Anyone else seen this? Am I reading it wrong? (Please tell me I’m reading it wrong)

https://twitter.com/atrachelgilmore/status/1393239362901524484?s=21

5/14/2021 4:55 pm  #22

I think your guess of about a month is probably accurate. I think, unless they change the colour coding again, most regions will be in grey in early June and red in mid June. Orange in July.

5/14/2021 5:38 pm  #23

I read the article AL posted.

I read if 75% have been vaccinated once PLUS 20% have been vaccinated twice, then camping may be possible.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

5/14/2021 6:20 pm  #24

You guys are all nuts camping will be opened on Monday!

5/14/2021 10:24 pm  #25

MartinG wrote:

I like that confidence!!!!

5/15/2021 3:28 am  #26

Jdbonney wrote:

MartinG wrote:

I like that confidence!!!!

The Power of Positive Thinking!

5/15/2021 6:09 am  #27

MartinG wrote:

Good to know. I'll make sure to cut the grass in the backyard this weekend so that I can set up the tent there on Monday

NDP is forcing a vote on Monday for that very thing? Yeah, and monkeys will fly out of my tent.

5/15/2021 7:25 am  #28

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

Public Health Agency of Canada has issued reopening guidance and if I’m reading it right they’re saying that once 75% of the country is vaccinated they’ll allow partial reopening, including camping.

Right now Ontario is at 43% for first doses. Based on the government’s COVID Tracker, just under 1% of the population got vaccinated yesterday. Assuming the pace stays constant (and hopefully it won’t, hopefully it’s still picking up steam) that’s another month at least before they start to open up for things like camping.

That’s not ideal.

Anyone else seen this? Am I reading it wrong? (Please tell me I’m reading it wrong)

https://twitter.com/atrachelgilmore/status/1393239362901524484?s=21

I think these are general recommendations by Health Canada but not enforceable measures as such health matters fall under provincial jurisdiction. It does seem a little over-the-top, perhaps purposefully so, as a CYA measure and knowing that provinces are likely inclined to have looser vs. tighter regulations. I'm hopeful that outdoor restrictions will be slowly lifted starting June 2 (assuming it's safe to do so) and that backcountry camping will be given a green light - fingers crossed!

5/15/2021 11:35 am  #29

hiker72, you've got it right, the feds can only offer advice in most cases, the actual rules are provincial jurisdiction except in National parks. but her announcement gives people challenging some of the ridiculous knee- jerk reactions ammo to pressure local and provincial officials.

5/15/2021 7:33 pm  #30

What about the weather. There's been a couple of nice days in the Toronto area but also lots of frost warnings; I have had to pull out my *winter coat* this week. The current forecast is calling for FREEZING RAIN up north?!

5/17/2021 9:17 am  #31

MartinG wrote:

ONparks and FOAP seem to have the same confidence as Martin.  Both are suggesting that they may be opening this Friday.  

5/17/2021 9:48 am  #32

TripperMike wrote:

MartinG wrote:

ONparks and FOAP seem to have the same confidence as Martin.  Both are suggesting that they may be opening this Friday.  

My reservation for the 21st - 24th has still not been cancelled or refunded by Ontario Parks. I am obviously not expecting them to open, but I would appreciate if they would give me back my money they have had for nearly 5 months.... orrrr just open the Parks!

5/17/2021 10:17 am  #33

Evan Briden wrote:

TripperMike wrote:

MartinG wrote:

My reservation for the 21st - 24th has still not been cancelled or refunded by Ontario Parks. I am obviously not expecting them to open, but I would appreciate if they would give me back my money they have had for nearly 5 months.... orrrr just open the Parks!

I would not expect them to open and assume the website has yet to be updated as it still says reservations up to and including May 20th have been cancelled (even though it also says info is up to date as of today and the stay at home extension says otherwise). They have been very slow in the past to update that info on their site and it will always tell you it is up to date as of "today".
In the FAQ it says to allow 10 business days for a refund to post on your credit card account after the reservation is cancelled. 
I have yet to receive a cancellation email and my reservation is still active on my account so I hope I didn't cancel my canoe rental and schedule myself back into work for no reason or I get my money back shortly!

5/17/2021 10:55 am  #34

Here's the nail in the coffin. I'm moving to Texas.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.