You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/13/2021 9:48 am  #1

Last Night of a 3 day trip??

Hoping to Book a couple nights on Bonnechere late September. We would like to stay closer to Cache access the 3rd night for an easy trip out . If you had the choice where would you stay? Trying to avoid camping on Head again so choices would be Hilliard, Delano or Kenneth. Of these 3 where would you camp? I've been  Through Hilliard and Delano but never stopped to check out the sites. Never been to Kenneth. 

5/13/2021 10:10 am  #2

Re: Last Night of a 3 day trip??

Hilliard site is ok but nothing to write home about. I remember having a hard time accessing water from the site.
Checked out the Delano site that trip as well. It's quite small and when I was there it had a moose skull hanging from one of the trees. 
Passed through Kenneth but haven't seen the sites.
Another option from Cache is Little Island lake which has at least one decent site.

5/13/2021 10:12 am  #3

I stayed on Kenneth years ago.  I remember the site being flat with easy access to the water.  Back then there was only 1 site on Kenneth.  Now I believe there are at least 2.  I stayed on the campsite at end of portage when you reach the lake.

I would certainly recommend it for your last night.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

5/13/2021 10:22 am  #4

Kenneth has 2 nice sites, I like the one on the east side of the lake.  Nice long peninsula style site with a west view of the lake, great tent beds and you can paddle down stream toward the top of the falls on head.  The west site has a nice rocky outcrop with a great fire pit view of the water, but gets shady in the afternoon. Both sites have nice swimming areas.  

I haven't been to Delano for 15 or so years, but I remember the site being good enough for 2 tents and getting a nice concert from some wolves that night.  The lake is small and has a remote feel for being so close to the access.  The landing is a big rock outcrop that was nice was swimming and laying in the sun.  Re: the moose head - I would be lying if I said the site didn't have a little bit of a spooky vibe to it. 

5/13/2021 10:42 am  #5

Harness has a few good sites as well and if you're planning for late September you should be able to snag one of them pretty easily. It's only slightly further away than Kenneth if you're already considering that as an option.

You're very likely to be alone on Kenneth though, if you prefer that. It's been about 8 years since I checked out the sites and didn't take pictures at the time, but I remember thinking they were just ok (they might be nicer than I remember though, it's been a while). And if it matter to you, all of the sites are on the north shore so you'll likely lose sun and a bit of warmth early, and at that time of year you're already working with short daylight hours.

Also if you're going late September I would highly recommend building in some time to detour on Cache Lake and join the Track and Tower Trail (east end of Cache at the 360m portage) to hike up to Skymount. It's a beautiful view regardless, but depending on the season you might even be able to catch peak fall colours.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/13/2021 12:24 pm  #6

Thanks for the input so far . I'll look into and see what 's available Good top have option. Spooky Vibes are intriguing ! 

5/13/2021 12:26 pm  #7

Thanks for the input so far . I'll look into and see what 's available Good top have option. Spooky Vibes are intriguing ! 

5/16/2021 8:28 am  #8

Booked 2 nights on Bonnechere and 1 on Kenneth late Sept.  🤞the world is a better place by then...

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.