You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2021 2:43 pm  #52

Re: Reservations for 2021 so far.

Most recently was altitude sports but I have from sport check in the past. I did curb side pickup with sportchek a few months ago when they had canisters 25% off.

5/10/2021 2:48 pm  #53

Pretty sure mec will Ship them too

5/10/2021 2:55 pm  #54

Jdbonney wrote:

Most recently was altitude sports

Yup - all my canisters for the past two or three years have come via Canada Post from Altitude Sports. Can't say enough good things about this company tbh. Blows MEC out of the water.

5/10/2021 4:09 pm  #55

I recently switched my longstanding MEC loyalty over to Altitude Sports. And by "recently" I mean I ordered a bunch of dehydrated meals from them yesterday. Here's hoping they have stock!

5/10/2021 5:48 pm  #56

+1 for Altitude Sports - quality merchandise and excellent service.
When I first ordered from them their lifetime membership was on sale for $19.99, marked down from $34.95.  At 5% off every order, it didn't take long to get that back, plus returns are easy and they pay the shipping.

I also like Bushtukah in Ottawa - whenever I've ordered from them they usually have it packed up in an hour or two and on it's way quickly.  Of course it'a a straight run from Ottawa up the Valley to here, so the delivery is usually here in a couple of days. 

MEC is OK, but not what it used to be.

5/11/2021 12:50 pm  #57

Fuel canisters and similar explosive items can be by couriers licensed to do so (eg. Purolator). There are extra charges for special handling and the package has special labeling. I think it would be cost-prohibitive for you as a consumer to go this route and most stores probably don't want the hassle (with the exception of those mentioned above, I guess).

Last edited by AO_GordB (5/11/2021 12:51 pm)

5/11/2021 1:20 pm  #58

Well, the 10 dehydrated meals I ordered two days ago arrived today, so go Altitude Sports!

5/11/2021 4:02 pm  #59

Can anyone share why breakfast dehydrated meals seem to have disappeared from every vendor?  Mec. Sail. Altitude etc. Nobody has egg or egg scramble meals like they used to. Just curious.

5/11/2021 4:10 pm  #60

I don’t know. I ordered a load of egg powder a few months ago anticipating it would be in demand this summer. I use it for camp baking, it’s not great for actual eggs.

5/11/2021 4:22 pm  #61

I noticed earlier this year.  I ended up ordering a bunch of breakfast skillet (my fave) from these guys.https://72hours.ca/collections/freeze-dried-meals-and-dehydrated-meals?_=pf&pf_t_product_type=Breakfast

Give it to the prepper stores to be prepared for a dehydrated egg shortage.

5/11/2021 4:22 pm  #62

Lukatch wrote:

Can anyone share why breakfast dehydrated meals seem to have disappeared from every vendor?  Mec. Sail. Altitude etc. Nobody has egg or egg scramble meals like they used to. Just curious.

Harvest Foodworks has scrambled eggs (note:I haven't tried their eggs but have been happy with some of their other products).

https://harvestfoodworks.com/product/scrambled-eggs/

5/12/2021 10:25 am  #63

I ordered my Eggs direct from OvaEasy Egg Crystals. You can't tell the difference from fresh eggs.

5/12/2021 12:38 pm  #64

I never heard of Altitude Sports . .will definitely check them out .. I need 2 cannisters for my MSR stove.  

thanks !

p.s. I have never really got into the dehydrated meals ... although they are dam convenient so I always take some in case i dont get fish ...

5/12/2021 1:02 pm  #65

The shortage of freeze dried meals is wild.  So glad I got a cheap dehydrator a few years back.  And for fuel I use Methyl Hydrate, $10 for a gallon at CT.

For the powdered egg posters:  Super simple if you have a dehydrator - whip raw eggs up until they are super frothy, spread in thin layers on your liquid trays, dehydrate for 8-12 hours at 165 degrees and then bust up in a food processor.  To cook - add some warm water to the powder until it resembles a good yoke and then toss them in a pan.  It makes decent scrambled eggs, much better than the store bought stuff IMO. 

5/12/2021 1:18 pm  #66

TripperMike wrote:

The shortage of freeze dried meals is wild.  So glad I got a cheap dehydrator a few years back.  And for fuel I use Methyl Hydrate, $10 for a gallon at CT.

For the powdered egg posters:  Super simple if you have a dehydrator - whip raw eggs up until they are super frothy, spread in thin layers on your liquid trays, dehydrate for 8-12 hours at 165 degrees and then bust up in a food processor.  To cook - add some warm water to the powder until it resembles a good yoke and then toss them in a pan.  It makes decent scrambled eggs, much better than the store bought stuff IMO. 

I’ve been thinking of trying eggs in the dehydrator. I guess this is as good as time as any. Thanks.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.