You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2021 10:06 am  #69

Re: booking camp sites and selling them off at a profit

Rob wrote:

Out of curiosity, when was the last time someone was asked for proof of id when checking in?
I can not remember a time when I was asked.

Never, from what I can remember.

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

4/28/2021 3:02 pm  #70

I'd like to know whether  this is an actual issue or a case where there were a few noticeable cases at a time when there is a huge demand for permits and got picked up by the media.

If it's a real issue, my suggestion would be that an escalating fee structure gets attached to each account where the first transfer is no major fee but  each additional transfer would have escalating fees making it more challenging to do this as a business.

4/28/2021 4:15 pm  #71

keg wrote:

I'd like to know whether  this is an actual issue or a case where there were a few noticeable cases at a time when there is a huge demand for permits and got picked up by the media.

If it's a real issue, my suggestion would be that an escalating fee structure gets attached to each account where the first transfer is no major fee but  each additional transfer would have escalating fees making it more challenging to do this as a business.

It's very real, I've seen the Kijiji listings.  However, it mostly affects front country camping - both electrical and non-electrical sites have been difficult to secure for the average Joe.  I think it's safe to assume back country camping has become more popular over the last 12-24 months and as a result, we're seeing a rise in bookings in easy to get to lakes in parks like AP.  Basically if you live in Southern Ontario it's a battle for serenity during peak season unless you're travelling north of 17. 

4/28/2021 7:06 pm  #72

Jdbonney wrote:

RobW wrote:

Jdbonney wrote:

There is no simple solution that will please everyone.

I would say that reservations made online can’t be transferred. That eliminates the bot/reseller bookings and that seems to be the current scare.

I’m reading the latest paddling magazine right now and one of the articles is about the crazy growth in paddling over the last 12 months. Of course they are stating that it will continue, but really who knows. People have snapped up gear in an unheard of fashion. We may see this kind of demand continue, but I really doubt it. Maybe a few more seasons but I think we’ll return a lot closer to the mean than to the peak. And with that, everyone will forget about the reservation system again.

So how would you handle summer camps (when they can run again) where the Camp Director books permits for the trips long before the tripping staff have been hired and then needs to assign the permit to the tripping staff who will be on the actual trip?

The camp directors assistant calls and makes the reservation over the phone.

Hmm - I had missed the "over the phone" line. Might be some merit in this one.

I can still think of issues such as security of credit card payments over the phone not being nearly as safe as an online payment. (Yeah that sounds weird, but no human is involved in the online payment process who could write down the credit card details.)

4/29/2021 8:24 am  #73

TripperMike wrote:

I've always found the option to reserve but not be the permit holder online a bit odd.  Maybe they should get rid of that option?  Aside from booking for an organized youth group or kids under 18, why would you ever need to book a permit and not be the primary holder? (excluding the obvious answer - to sell the reservation).

that's another thing I did, before my daughter got a credit card, I'd make her reservations for her so they could charge my card. It's the only viable option when booking by phone or online- my name on the reservation, hers on the permit...

4/29/2021 11:43 am  #74

scoutergriz wrote:

TripperMike wrote:

I've always found the option to reserve but not be the permit holder online a bit odd.  Maybe they should get rid of that option?  Aside from booking for an organized youth group or kids under 18, why would you ever need to book a permit and not be the primary holder? (excluding the obvious answer - to sell the reservation).

that's another thing I did, before my daughter got a credit card, I'd make her reservations for her so they could charge my card. It's the only viable option when booking by phone or online- my name on the reservation, hers on the permit...

Exactly. The 100% reservation only process now excludes a huge # of people who don't have credit cards or a supportive friend or relative who can pay for them. That is in addition to all of the other issues with sites being fully booked 5 months ahead. 

4/29/2021 12:17 pm  #75

RobW wrote:

Exactly. The 100% reservation only process now excludes a huge # of people who don't have credit cards or a supportive friend or relative who can pay for them. That is in addition to all of the other issues with sites being fully booked 5 months ahead. 

Although it creates a small barrier (adds processing time to send manual payment), it does not exclude those without a CC. In fact, the first thing you hear before a CAMIS rep answers the phone is an automated message stating if you don't have a CC, let the agent know at the beginning of a call.

Don't get me wrong, not a fan of the reservation only option (for a variety of reasons) but it does not exclude those without a CC.

4/29/2021 4:52 pm  #76

Peek wrote:

RobW wrote:

Although it creates a small barrier (adds processing time to send manual payment), it does not exclude those without a CC. In fact, the first thing you hear before a CAMIS rep answers the phone is an automated message stating if you don't have a CC, let the agent know at the beginning of a call.

Don't get me wrong, not a fan of the reservation only option (for a variety of reasons) but it does not exclude those without a CC.

I hadn't been aware of that work around. How well do you think it works in real life even in a normal year? While the demand is even higher this year than normal, it was still normal for folks to be getting online before 7am to try and book sites before. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.