You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2021 5:42 pm  #18

Re: Ontario Closes Crown Land Camping

Seems unlikely that May 14th date will stand. The stay at home order was extended by 2 weeks, that gets us to May 19 at the earliest.

4/16/2021 6:30 pm  #19

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

Seems unlikely that May 14th date will stand. The stay at home order was extended by 2 weeks, that gets us to May 19 at the earliest.

May 21 I think is the earliest you can expect to go in now. My May 15 trip will get cancelled.

I’m upping the ante. Just booked a replacement solo trip mid June through Dickson Bonfield. Will stop on Lavieille for 3 nights.

Big windy open site.

Last edited by ShawnD (4/16/2021 6:31 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/16/2021 6:42 pm  #20

I have a booking for St. Andrews / St. Francis starting on the 17th. Waiting for the cancellation notice - I wonder what La Verendrye will look like...

4/16/2021 6:47 pm  #21

Funny enough I have a reservation starting on the 21st, but I assume it won’t happen.  Can’t see them lifting such heavy restrictions right before a big party weekend, nor do I think they should.  Oh well, 2 years in a row missing chasing those first brookies.

On a similar topic, would fishing be considered exercise if I’m in my own neighbourhood? A friend and I were discussing if we would still be hitting trout opener next Saturday and not sure if it’s right or wrong.

Edit; fly fishing with a short walk in, no boat required.

Last edited by TripperMike (4/16/2021 6:48 pm)

4/16/2021 10:22 pm  #22

TripperMike wrote:

On a similar topic, would fishing be considered exercise if I’m in my own neighbourhood? A friend and I were discussing if we would still be hitting trout opener next Saturday and not sure if it’s right or wrong.

Even asking this question would have been completely unthinkable 14 months ago... nevertheless...

I'd say it qualifies as exercise. Hiking. With a stick. In a river. Worst case scenario, they actually wade out into the river for a warning. Why not fish from a canoe, that would certainly be fine. 

4/17/2021 5:23 am  #23

What happens when you go for an extended day trip but bring extra gear "just incase" but unfortunately your vehicle will not start when you get back to it but you don't have cell service? What a shame you happened to park on a nice crown land campsite?

4/17/2021 5:56 am  #24

Marko_Mrko wrote:

TripperMike wrote:

Even asking this question would have been completely unthinkable 14 months ago... nevertheless...

I'd say it qualifies as exercise. Hiking. With a stick. In a river. Worst case scenario, they actually wade out into the river for a warning. Why not fish from a canoe, that would certainly be fine. 

That is a fair point.  14 months ago I was living in the downtown core, and the perspective here in the burbs is much different.  I'll probably skip fishing for a week or 2 but go see how busy it is anyway.  A canoe wouldn't be much use on this stretch of creek even if I had one. 

4/17/2021 7:27 am  #25

petey wrote:

Good points Griz but I am living under a health emergency lock-down and a form of 'martial law' has already been instituted. Cutting bait or fishing?

not even close! None of your rights have been suspended, martial law means the constitution is suspended and police and the military have the final say in where you go, who you see, and even if you're allowed to leave your house.
I lived through the FLQ crisis, and I never want to be stopped by armed soldiers while tanks sit on the corner just to cross the street for a pack of smokes again!

4/17/2021 9:15 am  #26

scoutergriz wrote:

petey wrote:

Good points Griz but I am living under a health emergency lock-down and a form of 'martial law' has already been instituted. Cutting bait or fishing?

not even close! None of your rights have been suspended, martial law means the constitution is suspended and police and the military have the final say in where you go, who you see, and even if you're allowed to leave your house.
I lived through the FLQ crisis, and I never want to be stopped by armed soldiers while tanks sit on the corner just to cross the street for a pack of smokes again!

I hope you gave up that filthy smoking habit

Degrees of angle on this slippery slope. You go argue with the cops on what you can and cannot do.

RIP Pierre Laporte. I remember those times from Ontario.

4/17/2021 9:29 am  #27

there are many tools in the marshal law programs  that  the goberment can use. simply put, this one tool pulled out, can and should be used to close international air port flights,, that is all. the stay at home orders are clear enough.
 air ports are the source of the nations covid 19 problems and that is common knowledge now , closing the airport would have little or no effect on the average canuck i.m.h.o.

4/17/2021 9:38 am  #28

4/17/2021 11:34 am  #29

swedish pimple wrote:

there are many tools in the marshal law programs  that  the goberment can use. simply put, this one tool pulled out, can and should be used to close international air port flights,, that is all. the stay at home orders are clear enough.
 air ports are the source of the nations covid 19 problems and that is common knowledge now , closing the airport would have little or no effect on the average canuck i.m.h.o.

I think you’re underestimating the amount of freight that arrives by plane every day in Canada.

4/17/2021 11:52 am  #30

swedish pimple wrote:

I think closing the airports would have been more effective a year ago. Not saying it wouldn’t help by shutting off one area of transmission, but COVID is everywhere now.  You could close every airport in the country today and this thing would still be spreading.

4/17/2021 3:14 pm  #31

i am not talking about freight imports arriving on planes to canadian air ports,, i talking about people coming into canadian airports from mostly brazil & india ,,, closing the airports would be like suffocating a fire at the source,, if not the fire grows much larger,, dealing with the covid fire that now is raging does not need any more gas thrown on it or tinder from other countries !!
   we will get through this . i just hope that my dad reaches 101 years old and gets to hold his new great grand daughter,, that is not being selfish, just my little world.  

Last edited by swedish pimple (4/17/2021 3:19 pm)

4/17/2021 4:23 pm  #32

Swede - I saw my dad in early March 2020, right before lock down in the states.  (He's 89, in skilled nursing, wheelchair bound, has dementia but still knows us). Saw him in the Fall when we were permitted an outdoor visit.  It was short, too cold for him.  We sat at opposite ends of a 10-foot table with a barrier between.  Other than that it has been facetime calls, which confuse him. COVID tore through that place in Nov/Dec, dad got it but survived it asymptomatically (you could tell he was quite tired for a good month afterward).  By my count, roughly 20 of 50 residents did not survive it.  As of April in-person visits have resumed.  They do a rapid COVID test when you arrive, and there are a bunch of rules.

So many times I had resigned myself to the possibility that I had already seen my dad in person for the last time.  We visited two weeks ago.  Played dad a tape of himself singing The Lord's Prayer sixteen years ago, and he started singing along with the tape.  It was fantastic to hear that voice come around again.

I hope very much that you get to see your dad again, and especially that he gets to meet that brand new great grandchild.  What a wonderful moment that would be.

This whole thing just stinks.  It stinks for kids who are of marrying age who can't date.  It stinks for people having children who can't have family visit.  It stinks seeing toddlers wearing masks.  It stinks for kids who can't play youth sports when they only have a few years in which to do that.  It stinks for kids who are graduating high school by driving up in a car to get their diploma.  It stinks for people with loved ones in nursing facilities.  It just stinks.

I surely hope you get to visit your dad again, and most definitely that he gets to see that new great grandchild.   

4/17/2021 9:44 pm  #33

The situation is dire right now but I am optimistic that it will play out much better than it did at this time last year.  We are all using masks, something that wasn't the case a  year ago.   As of today, over 3.4 million people in Ontario have received at least one dose of vaccine and we seem to be doing over 100,000 additional doses per day.   The current restrictions should yield positive results in less time than they did a year ago.

4/23/2021 7:02 pm  #34

It's official now.   The Indian variant of Covid-19 has reached Ontario.  today was the first day the 7 day average of new infections had dropped but once the Indian variant really takes root we'll be heading back up again.   I sure wish our Federal government would make a serious effort to keep new variants out of the country.   Every time a new variant gets here it is analogous to pouring gasoline on a fire.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.