You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2021 6:14 pm  #18

Re: may 20 th opener on friends of algonquin park update sat apr 17th

ShawnD wrote:

So I have a trip starting May 15 so I asked AP if trips starting May 14 -20 would be cancelled. Answer I got back. If someone can please decipher.

I read this as "Maybe yes, maybe no. We are really not sure and will not comit to a yes or no right now."

4/21/2021 6:57 pm  #19

i had a chat with the vice superintend from algonquin this afternoon,, he told me that a bulletin should be released very soon this week about park opening this spring?  may 14 /may 20th or after the may 24th long weekend????
    i am like come on ,, we are going on 4 days thrus and still no word,,  i was informed the word has to come from queens park mr. ford's office!!  
   strange that friends of algonquin state on there website site opening date may 20th ,, yes if ya do the math that is what you get! i have also called the 2 m.p.p. offices in my area to get the word out.
   i got my first shot today and i am 65% to 85% covered now . hey, i should be able to go solo eh???,

4/21/2021 7:08 pm  #20

Awesome you got your first shot. Depending on which one it was you’ve got basically no coverage for a few weeks so don’t get too cocky.

Remember too that until you get your second shot the current advice is to act as though you have none.

4/22/2021 7:35 am  #21

My May 14th trip is still in my reservation queue but typically they don't cancel and reimburse until close to the date. That was what I saw last year. They hang on to your money until the last minute? With that being said, I can't imagine them opening things before the 20th and also wonder why they will open just before a long weekend. Carrot and stick I suppose.

Got our first Pfizer yesterday. Smooth operation here in London with lots of friendly folks manning the ramparts. Even after the second dose we'll be still masking and distancing.

4/22/2021 4:08 pm  #22

swedish pimple wrote:

i had a chat with the vice superintend from algonquin this afternoon,, he told me that a bulletin should be released very soon this week about park opening this spring?  may 14 /may 20th or after the may 24th long weekend????
    i am like come on ,, we are going on 4 days thrus and still no word,,  i was informed the word has to come from queens park mr. ford's office!!  

I'm a teacher with the massively bureaucratic Toronto board and that kind of decisiveness is what I've grown to expect.  We start new courses tomorrow and they just told us how the course will be organized this morning.  I'd be astounded if the Parks knew what they were doing more than a week in advance.  I'm sure that many of the people there can make educated guesses but we're all waiting on a decision that then needs to filter down through 18 layers of decision makers...

At this point  I'm quite happy to be food for the black flies if it means getting out for a couple days.

4/22/2021 7:25 pm  #23

Jdbonney wrote:

Awesome you got your first shot. Depending on which one it was you’ve got basically no coverage for a few weeks so don’t get too cocky.

Remember too that until you get your second shot the current advice is to act as though you have none.

That's absurd. You are provided significant protection even after a single dose.

4/22/2021 7:27 pm  #24

petey wrote:

My May 14th trip is still in my reservation queue but typically they don't cancel and reimburse until close to the date. That was what I saw last year. They hang on to your money until the last minute? With that being said, I can't imagine them opening things before the 20th and also wonder why they will open just before a long weekend. Carrot and stick I suppose.

Got our first Pfizer yesterday. Smooth operation here in London with lots of friendly folks manning the ramparts. Even after the second dose we'll be still masking and distancing.

Masking and distancing after the second dose is ludicrous

4/22/2021 7:47 pm  #25

OTCanadienne wrote:

Jdbonney wrote:

That's absurd. You are provided significant protection even after a single dose.

Nevertheless that is the current, very good, advice.

4/22/2021 7:48 pm  #26

OTCanadienne wrote:

petey wrote:

Masking and distancing after the second dose is ludicrous

We’ll disagree.

4/22/2021 7:54 pm  #27

So the person vaccinated is likely fine yes but while we still have millions of people out there who want the vaccine and haven’t got it yet can we all remember that vaccinated people can still be asymptomatic carriers and infect others.  Can we please wait till all people who want to be vaccinated are?

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/22/2021 8:56 pm  #28

OTCanadienne wrote:

Not on day one as the  post implied.  Takes about two weeks to provide the reasonable level of immunity that  one dose provides.

I get what you are saying about wearing masks after full vaccination (as long  as new variants aren't an issue).  I would think that the need to wear a mask after is simple enforcement.  Without a secure vaccine passport, there is no way store or law enforcement could tell if you you are fully vaccinated or not (and I think most  people opposed to mask would freak out about vaccine passports).

Last edited by keg (4/22/2021 8:57 pm)

4/22/2021 10:50 pm  #29

ShawnD wrote:

So the person vaccinated is likely fine yes but while we still have millions of people out there who want the vaccine and haven’t got it yet can we all remember that vaccinated people can still be asymptomatic carriers and infect others. Can we please wait till all people who want to be vaccinated are?

With the provinces current state and high case numbers, I think it's smart to mask and distance regardless of your vaccine status right now. Once we can get things under control then maybe start to ease up. But like you said Shawn, there's still a risk of someone vaccinated infecting others and right now there's just too much spread in the community and no ICU capacity to take that risk.

Last edited by trippythings (4/22/2021 10:52 pm)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/23/2021 12:13 am  #30

Jdbonney wrote:

OTCanadienne wrote:

Jdbonney wrote:

Nevertheless that is the current, very good, advice.

It's terrible advice given the evidence that exists now

4/23/2021 12:17 am  #31

ShawnD wrote:

So the person vaccinated is likely fine yes but while we still have millions of people out there who want the vaccine and haven’t got it yet can we all remember that vaccinated people can still be asymptomatic carriers and infect others.  Can we please wait till all people who want to be vaccinated are?

That's incorrect. There was just a very good study published by the CDC that showed virtually no asymptotic infection post vaccination. In addition, even if there was some asymptotic infection, it is exceedingly rare for an asymptotic person to infect another individual even living within the same household (0.7% chance)

Last edited by OTCanadienne (4/23/2021 12:17 am)

4/23/2021 12:19 am  #32

trippythings wrote:

ShawnD wrote:

So the person vaccinated is likely fine yes but while we still have millions of people out there who want the vaccine and haven’t got it yet can we all remember that vaccinated people can still be asymptomatic carriers and infect others. Can we please wait till all people who want to be vaccinated are?

With the provinces current state and high case numbers, I think it's smart to mask and distance regardless of your vaccine status right now. Once we can get things under control then maybe start to ease up. But like you said Shawn, there's still a risk of someone vaccinated infecting others and right now there's just too much spread in the community and no ICU capacity to take that risk.

Again this is wrong. The available evidence does not agree with you. It's silly to still distance and mask post vaccination.

4/23/2021 12:21 am  #33

keg wrote:

OTCanadienne wrote:

Not on day one as the  post implied.  Takes about two weeks to provide the reasonable level of immunity that  one dose provides.

I get what you are saying about wearing masks after full vaccination (as long  as new variants aren't an issue).  I would think that the need to wear a mask after is simple enforcement.  Without a secure vaccine passport, there is no way store or law enforcement could tell if you you are fully vaccinated or not (and I think most  people opposed to mask would freak out about vaccine passports).

You're correct that you are not protected right away. 11 days is the key number after which the body showed a robust immune response. But good to wait 14 days jutmstbto be safe.

4/23/2021 5:35 am  #34

OTCanadienne wrote:

ShawnD wrote:

That's incorrect. There was just a very good study published by the CDC that showed virtually no asymptotic infection post vaccination. In addition, even if there was some asymptotic infection, it is exceedingly rare for an asymptotic person to infect another individual even living within the same household (0.7% chance)

So that study was conducted with people who had received both doses of either Pfizer or Moderna. Conditions that only hold true for a faction of Canadians who are vaccinated. Yes with efficacy rates in the 90s those people have a very low chance of infection and hence infecting others. I would be careful making it sound like that holds true for single dose recipients of AZ and so on. It’s also very unclear at this point where the new variants are headed. Continued vigilance is far from silly. I don’t consider wearing a mask in public and distancing a bit to be all that arduous though.

Even the ideal scenario case study you are referencing is very clear.

“It's possible that some people who are fully vaccinated could get COVID-19. The evidence isn't clear whether they can spread the virus to others. We are continuing to evaluate the evidence.”

Last edited by ShawnD (4/23/2021 9:45 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.