You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2021 9:16 am  #1

Top 3 Backcountry Meals

This is a common topic but also very relevant and if you're like me it changes every year as I strive to get better. Here are mine:

1. Steak Tacos:
-Pre-Freeze beef tenderloin- cook on the open flame with lime, salt and pepper
-avocado, cilantro and sour cream as cold ingredients
-Peppers and onions on a pan cooked over the stove with fajita seasoning
-When steak is resting cook flour tortillas over flame

2. Fish Tacos
-Fish caught- Walleye, brook trout and crappie are my top 3- grill on fire with cajun seasoning
-Mix pre-shredded coleslaw  mixture (or chop your own cabbage / carrots) mixed with mayo or hot sauce
-avocado, jalapeno, lime juice and vinegar based hot sauce
-Small flour tortillas cooked over the fire

3. Mi Goreng- My Filipino buddies when I was on exchange in Australia got me on this. Drain water and add seasonings and a sunny side up egg (optional) and stir well. https://www.amazon.ca/Indomie-Mi-Goreng-Instant-Noodle/dp/B00HXIXWKM 

4/20/2021 11:31 am  #2

Re: Top 3 Backcountry Meals

Sounds good! Mine are....

Day 1 - Caesar salad, grilled chicken breast seasoned with Lawry's and + bbq sauce
Day 2 - Pork chop with Lawry's + bbq sauce,  boiled potatoes with butter or garlic butter and grilled zucchini brushed with olive oil dab of garlic plus seasoning
Day 3 - Steak seasoned with Lawry's and pepper seasoning. cast iron grilled potatoes, cast iron mushroom and peppers. Maybe some peas or green and yellow beans. 

I'm just gone Fishin!

4/20/2021 3:57 pm  #3

Nice ones! Here are mine...
1) Fish/fish tortilla wrap with chick pea salad. Fish is pan fried in oil/lemon/cilantro and red onion based liquid from the chickpea salad.
2) Kraft Dinner mixed with cut up spicy semi-dried sausage (great after a heavy day of exercise)
3) Tropical couscous (courtesy of my wife) - fruit and coconut flavours - great for any meal of the day!

4/20/2021 5:42 pm  #4

I know it's not normal but I actually love Mountain House breakfast skillet with a bit of salsa thrown in.

More culinarily, bacon wrapped filet sliced in half and eaten like a burger.

4/21/2021 5:43 am  #5

We mostly stick to freeze-dried meals a la Mountain House / Alpine Aire, but I got creative one time and cut up some pepperettes and mixed them into a savory bannock dough. Got a nice carb buzz off of that.

4/21/2021 7:22 am  #6

generally speaking, night 1 is steak and baked potatoes or , if it's a long day wieners and beans (crown land) or spaghetti. night 2 will generally be burgers or sausages with potatoes, or chicken fried rice, and day 3 is generally chili, stew, or spaghetti (dehydrated). A bonus meal would be corned beef hash. 

4/21/2021 8:14 am  #7

A few years ago I got into making my own dehydrated meals and these are my top 3:

1. Green Thai curry on rice with veggies and chicken
2. Hearty pasta with ground beef, peppers and cheese
3. Naan bread breakfast sandwich with bacon (ready crisp), eggs (dehydrated), cheese and garlic butter
Bonus round: Fresh fish with any of these is always the best. 

Now I'm hungry for a meal in the bush, thanks guys.

4/21/2021 12:49 pm  #8

I start like ScouterGriz - ribeye or NY strip steaks on night 1 with baked potatoes
We typically plan a fish dinner based on what we've caught - sautéed in butter with lemon juice, side of noodles or rice.
Then we move to dehydrated for meals after that - stuffed peppers, chili, chicken & dumplings, etc.

I'm going to look into cooking and dehydrating a thai masaman curry dish.  Not sure how I'll handle the fats from the oil and coconut milk but I'll see if I can figure out a way.

4/21/2021 1:10 pm  #9

PaPaddler wrote:

I start like ScouterGriz - ribeye or NY strip steaks on night 1 with baked potatoes
We typically plan a fish dinner based on what we've caught - sautéed in butter with lemon juice, side of noodles or rice.
Then we move to dehydrated for meals after that - stuffed peppers, chili, chicken & dumplings, etc.

I'm going to look into cooking and dehydrating a thai masaman curry dish.  Not sure how I'll handle the fats from the oil and coconut milk but I'll see if I can figure out a way.

I've found dehydrated coconut milk at bulk barn in the past.  I've also used powdered coconut and powdered milk for curries.  I normally bring a small container of solidified coconut oil for frying/cooking as well which does the trick in a pinch. 

4/22/2021 5:54 am  #10

I think I'll give the powdered coconut and powdered milk a shot in a trial recipe at home.  Thanks for the tip!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.