You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2021 10:22 am  #1

Day access free Mon-Thurs over the summer

Was looking at season pass options for this summer and noticed this. Not sure if the change has already been noted in AA forums but it is interesting especially in light of all the discussion around revenue - it looks like the plan is to offer free day use through the week this summer. Also of interest to some is that Parks are going to be loaning seasonal passes from local libraries.  [url]https://www.ontarioparks.com/seasonalpermits#:~:text=Ontario%20Parks%20will%20be%20offering,on%20Fridays%20and%20on%20weekends[/url]

The passage of note is " Ontario Parks will be offering free weekday day use visits Monday to Thursday from May 1 to September 2, 2021. Note that you will still require a permit to visit parks on Fridays and on weekends. "  Seems pretty clear but there is nothing mentioned on the Fees page for day use.  And there was nothing mentioned on Parks twitter that i noticed.

I get the local library loan program - a good idea to get some families access to the parks who might otherwise not go for financial reasons.  Not so sure about the free day use across the board especially where Parks are justifying overnight increases in an effort to be self-supporting (referencing the letter from Parks posted in previous thread).

4/05/2021 11:10 am  #2

Re: Day access free Mon-Thurs over the summer

Free day use during the week is a bit weird, maybe the intent is to reduce weekend crowds for what will probably be a record season.

Library program is awesome, hopefully it inspires some families to get out they may not have otherwise. 

4/06/2021 9:16 am  #3

This program scares me to be honest. It will have a negative impact on revenue - especially for parks like Sandbanks which was packed by day users during the week last summer. Any drop in revenue then becomes an argument for reduced investment and funding in the future. 

4/06/2021 10:07 am  #4

RobW wrote:

This program scares me to be honest. It will have a negative impact on revenue - especially for parks like Sandbanks which was packed by day users during the week last summer. Any drop in revenue then becomes an argument for reduced investment and funding in the future. 

Exactly...but then they'll make up for that lost profit by jacking up the cost of back country sites for solo/couple users...ugh...

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.