You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2021 7:40 am  #18

Re: Early, historically "average" or late ice out this year?

Absolutely. Bugs hatch based on the weather not the date.

Rain and warm= bugs

If you hate bugs the hope would be a cool and dry spring. Campers would be happy, farmers would not.

3/30/2021 8:17 am  #19

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

Would an earlier ice-out also be indicative of an earlier bug-in?  I'm kind of thinking it is, since it means warmer temps....

The bugs hatch primarily based on water temperature. An early ice out doesn't usually seem to have much effect on the hatching because even though temps are warm enough to melt the ice, they don't usually get warm enough and stay warm enough to heat the water up to hatching temperature.

I have seen the some black flies earlier in May, but generally even in a warm year you're still good for Mother's Day weekend. By the May long weekend, expect the black flies to be coming out. 

3/30/2021 9:09 am  #20

Black flies hatch as soon as water temps hit around 4-8 degrees Celsius. I don’t have any data but my brain tells me that the sooner the ice disappears the quicker the water warms and the sooner the hatch starts.

3/30/2021 11:37 am  #21

i have experienced black fly hatches in oct during the moose hunt in northern ontario,,  not pleasant,,

3/30/2021 1:23 pm  #22

Jdbonney wrote:

Black flies hatch as soon as water temps hit around 4-8 degrees Celsius. I don’t have any data but my brain tells me that the sooner the ice disappears the quicker the water warms and the sooner the hatch starts.

You are absolutely correct that the trigger is the water temperature. However you need to keep in mind that is the water temperature where the larvae are which will be on the river or creek bed in moving water. While the surface temp might hit 14C on a hot day in early May, you don't have to reach down more than a couple of inches to be back in cold water. 

I'm not saying an early ice out has zero impact, but I am saying that based on many years of spring tripping black flies have been minimal through Mother's Day weekend even in the warmest years. 

3/30/2021 1:33 pm  #23

I’m backpacking the western uplands may 14-16.....I’m nervous the bite will be on(bug bite that is). I am just hoping it isn’t too on by then but I feel like it’ll be strong by then.

3/30/2021 9:01 pm  #24

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

Would an earlier ice-out also be indicative of an earlier bug-in?  I'm kind of thinking it is, since it means warmer temps....

Expect so, unless there is a sudden cold snap.

I'd be happy with an early bug season (I can't get out until July).

3/31/2021 8:21 am  #25

Jdbonney wrote:

I’m backpacking the western uplands may 14-16.....I’m nervous the bite will be on(bug bite that is). I am just hoping it isn’t too on by then but I feel like it’ll be strong by then.

Yeah, that's the weekend after the Mother's Day weekend this year, so yes I think there is a good chance the black flies will be out. They're always worse back in the bush than out the lake, so they are even more of an issue hiking than canoeing. 

Last edited by RobW (3/31/2021 8:21 am)

4/01/2021 9:35 am  #26

I hate to even think it, but with another month long province wide lock down - are we concerned the province will postpone back country camping again this spring?

4/01/2021 10:21 am  #27

28 day lockdown brings us to end of April. We should be good for May.

4/01/2021 11:09 am  #28

Would love for the park to be open for trout opener. Lockdown wouldn't stop me from going, doesn't get much safer than camping in Algonquin Park when it comes to covid. 

4/01/2021 11:33 am  #29

I guess my point was will the Ontario government post pone the parks opening dates again like last May.  I realize at this time there is no such ban in place, but a lot can change in the next 4-6 weeks.  Judging by their crack decision making lately, nothing would surprise me anymore.  

4/01/2021 6:56 pm  #30

Doesn’t matter if there is an early ice out now it would seem.  We won’t be able to take advantage of it.  

4/01/2021 8:57 pm  #31

I'll be going regardless if the park is officially opened or closed

Admin. comment:
Forum Rules

When posting content to this forum, you are expected to ..

12. not violate any federal, provincial, municipal, international law or regulation.

4/01/2021 9:48 pm  #32

OTCanadienne wrote:

We’re all impressed with your level of disregard; thanks for sharing.

4/02/2021 6:31 am  #33

Ford did it again.  Enjoy your Walmart.

4/02/2021 11:31 am  #34

OTCanadienne wrote:

Admin. comment:
Forum Rules

When posting content to this forum, you are expected to ..

12. not violate any federal, provincial, municipal, international law or regulation.

I didn't...

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.