You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2021 9:05 pm  #18

Re: Isolation fitness

I've been doing stairs along with general strength and physio exercises on my knees and shoulder.  Would love to play some basketball but I heard there's this bug going around.

My first trip is 53 K, 20 of them being  portages.  Probably stupid for booking it but it is good motivation to get exercising. 

4/01/2021 10:45 am  #19

keg wrote:

I've been doing stairs along with general strength and physio exercises on my knees and shoulder.  Would love to play some basketball but I heard there's this bug going around.

My first trip is 53 K, 20 of them being  portages.  Probably stupid for booking it but it is good motivation to get exercising. 

Should practice carrying the canoe up and down those stairs (assuming they are outside)

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

4/01/2021 1:11 pm  #20

Barry - on a previous fitness thread I mentioned that I was using a stationary bike that was a recumbant style (I spelled that incorrectly), which also keeps my arms in motion.  I fell off that routine for several months, but I'm getting back into it.  I'm 55 by the way.  I don't use much resistance with the bike, I'm not in it for the muscle mass, although that does come with it to a degree.  I'm in it for the cardio, the flexibility and maintaining sufficient muscle to avoid relying on tendons and ligaments.  I do find that my knees feel much better when I'm good about the bike, and the supporting muscle structure around my ankles improves as well.  (I saw a podiatrist for ankle issues one time.  The way my leg connects to the foot is not ideal.  Very flat arch and my leg is almost sliding off the side.  The podiatrist examined the joint for a minute and told me to get my shoes back on because "looking at it is making me sick.")  Anyway - when I keep my lower leg toned up, there is very little pain.

The other thing I've been doing lately is resistance band work.  In 2018 I injured my left rotator cuff through a fall.  PT put that right, but it is so hard to keep up with those exercises once the shoulder feels better.  In late 2020, it started acting up again - likely because I allowed the muscle mass to disappear.  Went to a different PT.  He has me doing a couple of upper body stretches to try to loosen up my back and shoulder blades.  I noticed within a week or two that I could turn my head pretty far around without pain - that hadn't happened for a LONG time, and I had kind of written it off as a getting older thing.  That added flexibility I thought was gone forever.  Coupled with that is resistance band work.  The exercises are “low load, high repetition”.  They won't turn me into Charles Atlas, but they will develop sufficient muscle so I rely on the muscles not the tendons/ligaments.  It has been about a month and a half now and the shoulder feels great.  I'm stunned how quickly it came around.  He has added some dumbbell work as well, but lightweight stuff - 3 pounders.  It takes time to get "there".

I like the resistance bands because they can be presented at any angle, so you can target areas to work on, or areas to avoid, which is necessary when nursing an injury.  The portability and flexibility are nice.  They'll never bulk me up, but they'll firm me up, and to me that's the goal.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.