You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2021 8:24 pm  #1

Early, historically "average" or late ice out this year?

Sure feels like spring in the south...I'm hoping it stays cold in AP for a while yet so the black flies aren't already out in force by May14th...any predictions or is it still too early to say AA friends?

3/24/2021 6:24 am  #2

Re: Early, historically "average" or late ice out this year?

Hoping for an early ice out myself. 
My spring vacation is a week earlier this year.

3/24/2021 8:57 am  #3

Within 4 weeks we should be on the water. Book it!

3/24/2021 10:33 am  #4

all depending on the night time temps,,  nights above freezing really help,, so does rain and high winds.
  keep in mind that the park has a hand holding policy in terms of the park must be completely clear of ice,, not just some lakes clear before opening.  certainly not like the old days

3/24/2021 12:35 pm  #5

According to the Friends of AP Facebook page, they're keeping the back country closed until mid-May.  I guess they don't want to fish an inordinate amount of newbie corpses out of Opeongo this year.

3/24/2021 12:59 pm  #6

That Facebook post does say ON Parks might open earlier depending on conditions though. Which is all I would expect them to say at this point.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/24/2021 1:23 pm  #7

IanTendy wrote:

According to the Friends of AP Facebook page, they're keeping the back country closed until mid-May.  I guess they don't want to fish an inordinate amount of newbie corpses out of Opeongo this year.

I'm not sure it will make a difference whether it is May 1st or May 15th if you turf in the middle of Opeongo that time of year. 

I always look to book smaller lakes for ice out anyways. I have a good feeling that they will adjust and open accordingly, just as they have each year. Anyone else feel like we're owed an early start to the season this year? 

3/26/2021 9:25 pm  #8

Average ice out is April 28. It will probably be a week earlier than average this year

3/28/2021 11:15 am  #9

So the forecast is mostly positive temperatures over the next 2 weeks. Looking more and more like an early ice out.

3/28/2021 3:48 pm  #10

I don't recall properly but Bo used to say something about 7 or 10 nights above zero for ice our.
Hopefully he will see this or someone else recalls because it was pretty much dead on.

3/28/2021 4:49 pm  #11

Wind and rain play a big part too. Any combination of wind and rain with warming temps and the ice vanishes fast.

3/29/2021 9:06 am  #12

IanTendy wrote:

it's not just ice out, it's also to let the portages and trails firm up to prevent erosion, and to give staff a chance to clean up blowdowns, widowmakers, or other hazards.

3/29/2021 10:43 am  #13

scoutergriz wrote:

IanTendy wrote:

it's not just ice out, it's also to let the portages and trails firm up to prevent erosion, and to give staff a chance to clean up blowdowns, widowmakers, or other hazards.

Very good point. The portages can become mud pits early in the season if they aren’t given a fighting chance.

3/29/2021 6:25 pm  #14

Jdbonney wrote:

scoutergriz wrote:

IanTendy wrote:

Very good point. The portages can become mud pits early in the season if they aren’t given a fighting chance.

I've never seen them use that as a reason not to open the park. Usually when the ice is out, the park opens.

3/29/2021 7:59 pm  #15

On their front page, the Friends of Algonquin website has a note about Backcountry camping being closed April 1 - May 14. Clicking the link there, brings you to a larger statement that includes the following:

"Ontario Parks is reporting that if conditions are safe they may open backcountry camping reservations earlier than scheduled. "

3/29/2021 11:26 pm  #16

Thamesman wrote:

On their front page, the Friends of Algonquin website has a note about Backcountry camping being closed April 1 - May 14. Clicking the link there, brings you to a larger statement that includes the following:

"Ontario Parks is reporting that if conditions are safe they may open backcountry camping reservations earlier than scheduled. "

Correct. They will open the park once the lakes are clear of ice. Which will likely be in 2 weeks or less.

3/30/2021 7:20 am  #17

Would an earlier ice-out also be indicative of an earlier bug-in?  I'm kind of thinking it is, since it means warmer temps....

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.