You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2021 9:24 am  #1

Snow Along Highway 60

I'm trying to plan some trips and just wondering if anyone has driven along Highway 60 lately and can comment on the snow buildup at access roads. 

Are there still massive clumps of ploughed snow blocking the roads off 60 (thinking about Rock Lake Rd. in particular)?

3/23/2021 9:54 am  #2

Re: Snow Along Highway 60

The Rock Lake road seems to be kept closed for a period of time after the snow melts.  I'd guess they want to give the road bed a chance to dry out before they allow traffic on it.

3/23/2021 10:09 am  #3

can't speak directly to the roads but the webcam at the visitor centre shows pretty light snow cover left

https://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/virtual/webcam/index.php

3/23/2021 10:50 am  #4

yellowcanoe wrote:

The Rock Lake road seems to be kept closed for a period of time after the snow melts.  I'd guess they want to give the road bed a chance to dry out before they allow traffic on it.

Do you know if the gate is closed right now? Last winterI don't think it was.

3/23/2021 12:01 pm  #5

i drove along highway 60 in algonquin 2 weeks ago,,  really nothing plowed ,, rock lake was not ploughed out or the pines trail across the road,,  even the west gate was rough to get in and out of as i used the pay phone.
    as i mentioned here before that there were several trucks with empty snowmobile trailers parked at the rock lake access,,  i am guessing natives ice fishing ,, south of rock in rence, harry and welcome lake,, only because stringer lake is closed because of no limit , live bait ice fishing camps that are set up

3/23/2021 8:15 pm  #6

swedish pimple wrote:

i drove along highway 60 in algonquin 2 weeks ago,,  really nothing plowed ,, rock lake was not ploughed out or the pines trail across the road,,  even the west gate was rough to get in and out of as i used the pay phone.
    as i mentioned here before that there were several trucks with empty snowmobile trailers parked at the rock lake access,,  i am guessing natives ice fishing ,, south of rock in rence, harry and welcome lake,, only because stringer lake is closed because of no limit , live bait ice fishing camps that are set up

Naive question - is that allowed?

3/24/2021 10:20 am  #7

the truth some times hurts,,  and it does effect every one,, 400 million dollar  tax payer gift from j.t.  
    google that one will ya?

Last edited by swedish pimple (3/24/2021 10:28 am)

3/24/2021 5:25 pm  #8

swedish pimple wrote:

Remember the gigantic live tree chainsaw cut structure I came across on Pen Lake a few springs ago that was obviously a winter trout fishing camp?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.