You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2021 5:20 pm  #1

Route comparison for two beginners?

I'm looking for feedback on the following routes for a 2 person, 5-day trip end of August. We are fairly weak canoers with only 2 trips of experience outside of Algonquin, and are trying to keep portaging to a minimum:

Canoe (Access 5) -> Tepee (N1) -> Liddledoe (N2) -> Joe (N3-N4) -> return to Canoe (Acess 5) for D5
Smoke (Access 6) -> Ragged (N1) -> Parkside Bay (N2-N3) -> Ragged (N4) -> return to Smoke (Access 6) for D5
Cache (Access 8) -> Tanamakoon (N1) -> Little Island (N2-N3) -> Tanamakoon (N4) -> return to Cache (Access 8) for D5
Rock (Access 9) -> Rock (N1) -> Pen (N2-3) OR Aubrey (N2-3) -> Rock (N4) -> return to Rock (Access 9) D5 - 
Shall (Access 17) -> Farm and Crotch Lakes for 2 nights each
Achray (Access 22) -> Stratton (N1) -> St Andrews (N2-3) -> Stratton (N4, hike the trail during the day) -> return to Achray (Access 22) D5 

I left off Opeongo and Brent/Cedar as I read big lakes can quickly become troublesome to navigate for new/weak canoers especially in bad weather. I chose these routes as they all have fairly short portages, a reasonable amount of canoeing for two beginners taking it easy, and some amount of exploration to do. Are there any other routes I'm missing? Thanks!

3/09/2021 7:54 pm  #2

Re: Route comparison for two beginners?

Others more experienced than I will weigh in here, and I don't want to preach, but my 2 cents is this: weak canoeists shouldn't cross open lakes....I'd suggest staying close to shore...hopefully you're good swimmers...and always wear a lifejacket

3/09/2021 9:44 pm  #3

goneagainjon wrote:

Others more experienced than I will weigh in here, and I don't want to preach, but my 2 cents is this: weak canoeists shouldn't cross open lakes....I'd suggest staying close to shore...hopefully you're good swimmers...and always wear a lifejacket

"Weak" might have been a strong word, slow might be more appropriate. 

3/09/2021 9:57 pm  #4

Those all seem pretty reasonable to me. I’d lean towards the Stratton/St. Andrew’s trip personally. There’s lots in the area to see and do. Those are all busy areas so you might be competing for a decent site, but apart from that I’d say they all work as beginner trips.

You could add something out of the Magnetawan access point if you wanted another option. Ralph Bice is a big lake, but it’s beautiful. You can always stick close to shore if you’re at all worried about conditions. (I’d agree with steering clear of Opeongo or Cedar to start though).

3/09/2021 10:15 pm  #5

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

You could add something out of the Magnetawan access point if you wanted another option. Ralph Bice is a big lake, but it’s beautiful. You can always stick close to shore if you’re at all worried about conditions. (I’d agree with steering clear of Opeongo or Cedar to start though).

Thanks for the suggestion! This route actually looks ideal, but Magnetawan would be a 5-hour drive for me (in Ottawa).

3/10/2021 12:00 am  #6

bahpelcamps wrote:

goneagainjon wrote:

"Weak" might have been a strong word, slow might be more appropriate. 

Fair enough! I'd be more helpful but I don't know the east part of the park....being from Toronto I've always wanted to see the Barron canyon area that everyone talks about

3/10/2021 7:08 am  #7

I'd recommend your Smoke and Achray destinations.  But I would also emphasize that it doesn't have to be a big lake to get whipped up by high winds.  You should be fine if you take an unplanned dip in August, but do be aware of approaching storms (they're easy to spot, hear and feel).

Both of those trips get you far enough from the access point to enjoy a sense of 'remoteness' and each has areas to explore for wildlife and natural beauty.  The St. Andrews destination is great with a bit more to do and just two tiny portages to get there (you probably carry your gear further loading and unloading the car!).  Especially the high falls waterslide area where you can laze away a day along with some picnicking and maybe a bit of frolic in there.

3/10/2021 7:13 am  #8

bahpelcamps wrote:

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion! This route actually looks ideal, but Magnetawan would be a 5-hour drive for me (in Ottawa).

If you’re in Ottawa then Stratton and St. Andrews is that much better of an option. I’m in Ottawa too and I love that it makes that part of the park so convenient to access.

3/10/2021 8:49 am  #9

Smoke, Ragged, Parkside Bay is a trip I often take people for their first trip: nice sites, great swimming and fishing. Lots of day trip options.

I also like Cache, Tanamakoon, Little Island as well but it’s best for R&R trips. Not a lot of day trip options, only a couple of hours in, can be noisy with the camp on Tanamakoon and fish are only a rumour.

Dave

3/10/2021 10:36 am  #10

I'd recommend the Achray option also!
It wouldn't be too difficult to do a day trip portaging to the Barron canyon minus all your gear. The portages aren't particularly long or difficult, the lakes are smaller and the payoff of canoeing through the canyon would make the effort wholly worthwhile.

3/10/2021 12:39 pm  #11

With respect to day-tripping to the Barron Canyon:  A day trip from the middle of St. Andrews Lake to the bottom of the Barron Canyon and return is about 20 km. This distance includes 14 portages totaling a little over 5 km (assuming via Opalescent one way and the Cascades the other).  This might be a little much for a beginner.

3/10/2021 1:03 pm  #12

rgcmce wrote:

With respect to day-tripping to the Barron Canyon:  A day trip from the middle of St. Andrews Lake to the bottom of the Barron Canyon and return is about 20 km. This distance includes 14 portages totaling a little over 5 km (assuming via Opalescent one way and the Cascades the other).  This might be a little much for a beginner.

I'm assuming they're staying on St. Andrews or Stratton or even High Falls lake but you're right! Looking at the map there is a lot of portaging either way; I guess I didn't think of the return trip.
Here's an idea!! On the way out of the park stop at Barron Canyon parking lot and canoe up the river to the canyon. Only one portage there!!

3/28/2021 11:25 am  #13

I've taken noobs to the park a few times. I ruled out Canoe Lake because it requires a fair bit of open water crossing once you pass the islands in the middle. This can be intimidating for noobs if the waves and wind are up a bit.

I've taken complete noobs to Pen Lake. There is very little big open water to cross, you've got a sheltered river section to begin with to acclimate to the boat and the paddlers before hitting the lake. One well-travelled portage of moderate difficulty (for Algonquin). A dock at the other end.

The Smoke lake trip is fine, but it can be intimidating for noobs right at the beginning because it requires an immediate crossing. Then you need to choose your shore to hug.

If you are just slow, then it is not a problem. If you are 'weak' then I'd go with Rock-Pen. I don't have experience with the other routes.

edited to add the word 'not' in the third last sentence!

Last edited by Methye (3/28/2021 8:01 pm)

3/31/2021 2:59 pm  #14

I'd suggest McManus to Smith in late August or the fall. Close to Ottawa, no big open water, can wade upstream through the portages, decent fishing and less campsites / people than lakes around Achray. 

4/05/2021 6:16 am  #15

The Barron Canyon trail is an easy way of getting an up-close view of the canyon combined with a canoe trip to Achray.  It's easy to include a stop with the 30-40 minute walk to the couple of overlooks on your way in or out of the area and delivers a breathtaking perspective.  Trying to get their via canoe is a bit of a round peg in a square hole for Bahpel.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.