You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2021 5:51 pm  #1

Opeongo Tree Tent

This caught my eye recently.  Perhaps a little heavy for a one person shelter and I get that for many there is no substitute for a ground tent, but I would be interested to hear any other opinions/critiques?  I assume these are new to the market so no one would have tested one live yet.

https://opeongo.camp/

3/05/2021 9:47 am  #2

Re: Opeongo Tree Tent

Leave the tent and take the girl.

Seriously, though, you'd be limited to where there were appropriate trees

Last edited by Algonquintripper (3/05/2021 9:50 am)

Dave

3/05/2021 10:40 am  #3

slung up during high winds,,  might be scary,,

3/05/2021 2:32 pm  #4

I wonder how one gets into this tent in the pouring rain. And what's wrong with the novel idea of setting up a tent on the ground?

3/06/2021 10:03 am  #5

It seems like an interesting product but the price seems high comparative to other set ups (in my unprofessional opinion).I really enjoy hammock camping when solo and use a lightweight double hammock with a separate bug net, tree straps (not rope which will damage trees), lightweight sleeping bag, under quilt, and tarp when expecting rain (which set up well can provide better coverage and access to getting in during a storm). I have also never found a shortage of trees to hang from. The entirety costing around $175 of not especially high tech gear, it’s fairly light, compact, and I sleep wonderfully swinging gently in the warm evening breeze. I do understand that some people enjoy sleeping flat but also don’t enjoy sleeping on the ground and this solves that problem and provides more vestibule space. An alternative that I’ve heard good reviews of, is half the price (although out of stock currently), and is almost a hybrid of this product and a traditional hammock is Amok Draumr.

https://www.amokequipment.com/products/draumr-hammock
 There doesn't seem to be a right or wrong way to set up just all personal preference and experimentation!

3/06/2021 12:31 pm  #6

Eddy - yeah i hear you and am a ground camper.  As a side sleeper i do get sore hips on my thermarest (getting old).  I can live with it and am happy to have the tent space to share with my wife/family but I have been interested in hammock options. 

Austin - I'm guessing price = quality kind of thing.  Which would be important in this system I expect.  Was laughing at the guy drinking a beer in the Amok hammock.  I was picturing the amount of abuse he would be taking from less comfortable friends.

3/06/2021 1:29 pm  #7

I can't decide if this is the greatest thing I have ever seen or the dumbest thing I have ever seen but it is intriguing for sure.  I would want to wait a couple of iterations before I made a purchase.  1st gen users will identify some flaws that will need to be addressed.  Very clever that's for sure.

3/06/2021 7:26 pm  #8

GordK wrote:

Eddy - yeah i hear you and am a ground camper.  As a side sleeper i do get sore hips on my thermarest (getting old).  I can live with it and am happy to have the tent space to share with my wife/family but I have been interested in hammock options.

I'm in the same boat age-wise. Moving to a thicker mattress definitely helps. I use currently NeoAir xTherm - for it's thickens, not insulation, and quite happy with it.

3/08/2021 10:56 am  #9

GordK wrote:

Austin - I'm guessing price = quality kind of thing.  Which would be important in this system I expect.  Was laughing at the guy drinking a beer in the Amok hammock.  I was picturing the amount of abuse he would be taking from less comfortable friends.

Unfortunately, sometimes price doesn't always equal quality but I have no reference to this product although once people purchase and abuse it I assume we could find some reviews. It does seem interesting and wouldn't mind trying it but maybe not buying it... I would gladly take some trash talk drinking a beer in a hammock than sleeping on the ground! 

3/09/2021 2:09 pm  #10

So I backed this on Kickstarter a while back and got mine delivered last month. I haven't set it up between trees yet but I'm looking forward to trying it out. I did set the tent up in my kitchen and my first impressions are that it seems like the tent itself is of reasonably good quality, but that the spreader bars could get annoying from both a weight and a pack shape perspective.

Assuming it works as advertised I love the idea of being able to get in and out of the tent without having to crawl into it. The things I'm mainly curious about are how it would hold up in a wind, how it does with rain etc. I've booked an overnight to Basin Lake in May and I'm going to be giving it a test run then. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

3/15/2021 2:52 pm  #11

Not really any different than putting up a hammock. 

swedish pimple wrote:

slung up during high winds,,  might be scary,,

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

3/15/2021 6:39 pm  #12

Look forward to the report Drew!  I was also curious if you could increase stability if you happened to have a third tree close to one of the two base trees - or would that compromise system.  And perhaps just not needed.

6/13/2021 1:26 pm  #13

So I got my chance to try this tent out last night. Conditions were pretty much ideal, so can’t say how it holds up in wind and rain. In good weather I’m pretty happy with it.

To start, I had more room than I had in my previous solo tent (a Eureka solitaire). It’s tall enough to sit up in and I could street out comfortably (I’m 5”10) with a couple inches to spare.

I was set up between two large pines that were about 10 feet apart. This seemed like a good distance. The tent was very stable at that spread. I set it up a few weeks ago with wider apart trees in my front yard (one of which had a trunk with a diameter below the low end of what’s recommended and it was pretty tippy. No problems at all with that this time around.

It’s very comfortable. There’s a bit of give in the bottom so you’re not entirely flat, but you don’t feel like you’re sleeping in a hammock. I had a thermarest in with me and that helped level it out too.

It’s easy enough to set up. They’ve got clear written instructions as well as a video on YouTube. I think my favorite feature is the gear hammock that goes underneath. Don’t know if this is a regular feature of hammock tents, but it’s super useful.

What I don’t like is how it goes in my pack. The spreader bars which give it the ability to stretch flat are taller than my usual tent. As a result the tent stands higher in the pack and was, this time around awkward to pack around. I’ll have to fiddle with my packing order I guess.

So, all in all I’d say it was a good first experience. I’m heading out at the end of June for three nights and I’ll be curious to see what I think of it after that.

6/14/2021 9:33 am  #14

Thanks for the update Drew.  

6/21/2021 10:44 am  #15

Considering the price I'd want it to be lighter than 5.5 lbs. There are many other solo shelters that are much lighter and available for less $$ but could be a good option for those that find sleeping in hammocks too curved and tents too firm.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.