You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2021 8:11 pm  #1

Ranger Cabins??

Toying with the idea of trying to book a cabin  again this year. Playing around  on the reservation page they show as unavailable to rent. Is this due to needing to call to book cabins, not available  to book online or is at a covid thing?? Any thoughts?

1/27/2021 6:55 am  #2

Re: Ranger Cabins??

I believe this is just due to them not be able to be booked online. You have always had to call in reservations for cabins.

1/27/2021 9:46 am  #3

No answer but last year I noticed that Parks was saying interior cabins were not available due to covid so I assumed not available.  However, Evan Briden's TR includes visiting McKaskill in August.  So, I'm guessing it is all about the phone call.  

https://www.ontarioparks.com/roofedaccommodation/backcountrycabins

1/27/2021 2:31 pm  #4

I tried to book over the phone for a May cabin weekend. At first the agent thought the cabin was reserved already, however after checking a few other cabins we became suspicious that they were actually not rentable. She checked with a supervisor who said that indeed, they’re not renting backcountry roofed accommodations this year unless they can be accessed by vehicle. So, Rain lake and the one up in the north end (Kiosk?) are reservable. I think, as crazy as it sounds, that they’re sending staff in there to ‘disinfect’ between rentals. Don’t quote me, but that was the impression we got.

I’m now 0/5 for getting into a cabin for an early May trip- typically foiled by ice, and last year of course by covid.

I’d be interested if anyone else hears otherwise though. As we know, CAMIS doesn’t always have the correct info.

1/27/2021 8:32 pm  #5

Thanks for the input  everyone.  I figured it may be something like . I'll  keep an eye on it and make another call after restrictions lift and see if anything has changed.  Inquiring for a September  trip so there's still time, and hope... most cabins I've been to show signs of being broke  in to and used regardless of reservation or not.  Fingers crossed its over soon.

1/28/2021 7:57 am  #6

Historically the cabins have been difficult to book - supply/demand; I thought they were a 6-month advance booking in the past but definitely know they were always a challenge to be in the front of the line.

Typical strategies would help - booking for low-demand times like June or Sept.-Oct, during the week, etc.

2/09/2021 1:09 am  #7

I can honestly say I have never seen a "cabin" in the interior. Have stayed at Killarney (Lodge) but this is news to me.

Related: has there been much spread, of the virus, in the area? I recall Barrie Ont. being mentioned on the news a while back but nothing like "Huntsville, North Bay, Mattawa, Chalk River" etc.

IIRC fly-in type, First Nations bands have been hit hard, probably because they tend to have denser housing.

(I have only been inside a F.N. house once... on a reservation in... southern Manitoba, IIRC. The building was a sort of "display" unit made of "alternative" materials like steel and concrete and the deal was that people got to live there, but there would be visitors. I felt very unconfortable trooping through these peoples' house while they were literally eating lunch and watching TV etc.)

2/10/2021 4:07 pm  #8

Stayed at Tattler cabin in fall 2017 for our fall colours Trip.  Great little spot indeed, way too hot that weekend to need a cabin, but still a great experience.  This past fall we did booth lake for fall colours again and day tripped over to the tattler cabin.  Sadly and shamefully it was very damaged.  Inside door was obviously kicked in from the crater left where the padlock hinge once was mounted and the screen door was hanging by a single screw.  Very sad indeed.  On our paddle out there was a older couple with their little terrier staying at the Kitty cabin which we were very surprised by, because we weren't able to book Tattler cabin due to covid.

2/10/2021 9:26 pm  #9

I've stayed in two and been by a few more to check them out. Have yet to find one with lock intact . I'd  like to believe  they were entered for emergency shelter  but I'm  guessing illegal occupancy more likely.  We were the first of the season to book BIG crow back in May 2014. When we arrived it was a disaster and later learned trout fisherman with motor boats had been staying there all week. Pretty sure We passed them unknowingly  in the crow River on their way back to Opeongo.

2/11/2021 10:35 am  #10

I don’t believe dogs are allowed at the cabins. I was considering one a few years ago until I saw that restriction.

Dave

2/11/2021 11:22 pm  #11

i believe that the no dog policy was changed as of last year,, better call ahead.
   cabins or yurts could be different?

2/12/2021 11:03 am  #12

swedish pimple wrote:

i believe that the no dog policy was changed as of last year,, better call ahead.
   cabins or yurts could be different?

I had the Highview and Birchcliffe booked for May last year and there was still a no dog policy in place.  I think some Yurts have lifted the no dog rule but I could be wrong.  

2/27/2021 4:36 pm  #13

I called the reservations office today and was told that only Rain Lake cabin is open to be booked this year.
Its a shame, hopefully the other ones open up.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.