You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2021 5:39 pm  #1

Helinox chair hack

For anyone who may have both a Helinox Chair One and a Chair Zero in their gear box I just discovered that the seat fabric of the Zero fits the Chair One.

This gives you a chair with the comfort advantages of the One and saves about 1/2 lb so a chair weight in between the One and Zero with no difference in comfort.

I tried mine with a Travelchair Joey base and the seat fits on that chair too.

Even more benefits with that combo IMO. The Joey chair seat is 16” high vs 13.8” of the Chair One and 11” of the Zero. It also has anti sink feet that work really well in soft soil or on the beach. It is a little heavier but still lighter than a Chair One.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

2/16/2021 9:08 am  #2

Re: Helinox chair hack

And if you don’t like money but are sick of sinking into soft soil or sand a UK company has started making these.

https://www.chairbuddies.com/

150 grams with the carrying case. Likely about 100 grams if you ditch the case and just leave them clipped on. So the lightest option out there to solve the problem.  Much lighter than the mats Helinox upsells to solve the problem.

£25 shipped to Canada.

https://outdoorguru.com/outdoorgear-en/camping-table-chairs/chair-buddies-clip-on-camping-chair-feet-review/

Last edited by ShawnD (2/16/2021 9:09 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

2/16/2021 1:24 pm  #3

Thanks, Shawn, very interesting, especially with the British legs! From a long-term user of an Alite: what's the difference in comfort between Helinox One and Zero? If it's just the height than, comparing to a meager 2.5" clearance of Alite, it's negligible.

2/16/2021 4:26 pm  #4

Hey Eddy

I always find it difficult to comment on comfort with these chairs. Depends alot on body shape, height and weight I think. I’m 6ft about 170 and to me ....Heavier the chair the more comfortable it is. I find my Travelchair Joey slightly more comfortable than a Chair one ( Joey is about 3-4ozs heavier) and both of those chairs noticeably more comfortable than a Chair Zero.( Zero is at least a lb lighter though)

I don’t find the Zero uncomfortable though, if it were the only chair like this I had tried I wouldn’t know any better.

If 2 chairs are available at camp though I’m sitting in the heavier chair every time.

2/16/2021 6:17 pm  #5

Thanks again! I ordered Chair Buddies, now all I need is a chair.

2/18/2021 10:17 am  #6

ShawnD wrote:

Hey Eddy

I always find it difficult to comment on comfort with these chairs. Depends alot on body shape, height and weight I think. I’m 6ft about 170 and to me ....Heavier the chair the more comfortable it is. I find my Travelchair Joey slightly more comfortable than a Chair one ( Joey is about 3-4ozs heavier) and both of those chairs noticeably more comfortable than a Chair Zero.( Zero is at least a lb lighter though)

I don’t find the Zero uncomfortable though, if it were the only chair like this I had tried I wouldn’t know any better.

If 2 chairs are available at camp though I’m sitting in the heavier chair every time.

I agree with this 100%. The Zero is a great chair and in most ways more comfortable than the Monarch, but the One is definitely a step more comfortable. The Zero’s fabric digs in a bit over time IMO. They are close to the same size packed up, so for canoe camping I would go with the One. For hiking you’d be happy with the Zero.

2/18/2021 10:21 am  #7

ShawnD wrote:

And if you don’t like money but are sick of sinking into soft soil or sand a UK company has started making these.

https://www.chairbuddies.com
£25 shipped to Canada.

https://outdoorguru.com/outdoorgear-en/camping-table-chairs/chair-buddies-clip-on-camping-chair-feet-review/

Made in the UK too, nice!

2/18/2021 10:41 am  #8

The major difference between canoe camping and hiking in APP is that a boat sometimes could be employed while doing the former. I guess I should find a way to sit in the One but portage the Zero.

2/18/2021 12:18 pm  #9

And if you're a real gram counting weanie..lol.. you can save a WHOLE .4 oz by getting a dyneema stuff sack for your Chair Zero. Then you'll have reached Camp Chair Nirvana 

https://liteaf.com/product/chair-zero-dyneema-stuff-sack/

Surprised no one in the ultralight community has built a chair with a carbon fiber base and a dyneema fabric that weighs 8 ozs yet..

Last edited by ShawnD (2/18/2021 12:33 pm)

2/18/2021 4:41 pm  #10

The ultralight community doesn't use chairs, carbon fiber or otherwise. Their idea of a stool is a toothbrush with a sawed off handle.

2/19/2021 1:47 pm  #11

EddyTurn wrote:

The ultralight community doesn't use chairs, carbon fiber or otherwise. Their idea of a stool is a toothbrush with a sawed off handle.

Apparently they do carry saws though and are making those out of carbon fiber now. Under 4 oz backcountry saw with a 12” Carbide blade. Interesting.

Last edited by ShawnD (2/19/2021 2:29 pm)

2/19/2021 10:25 pm  #12

Interesting, but I have my doubts, specifically - size and shape of the handle is not very appropriate for anything but a n occasional job. I prefer 30cm Gomboy that weighs 12oz (plus a garden glove). There are tools whose function, by definition, doesn't align well with ultralight concept, e.g. cutting tools or rain gear. Ultralight rain jacket might be adequate in a city environment (where its weight is of little importance), but could be literally dangerous on a wilderness trip. Optically speaking, ultralight compact camera doesn't perform very well compared to, for instance, FTM. Titanium stakes might fail where aluminum won't and so on. I am all for carbon fiber paddles and kevlar boats as long as my party is not running rapids. And the heavier my bottle of scotch is the happier I am.

3/30/2021 1:18 pm  #13

Hey Eddy if you’re still looking for a chair. I added a Big Agnes Skyline UL to the gear cupboard.

The chair buddies fit on it  as well and it may be the most comfortable sub 2lb chair I have tried to date.

3/30/2021 1:44 pm  #14

Thanks, Shawn! So many ideas, so little time (and money, alas) . I just got Helinox Zero and Chairbuddies, total weight 1.42, probably half a pound less than BA. It feels slightly on a smallish side for me, but it's my fault (5'11", 200lbs). I love BA brand (was seriously impressed watching my toddler son's failed attempt to destroy BA superlight tent), but weight saving's important and it's getting importanter and importanter each year.

3/01/2023 11:07 am  #15

ShawnD wrote:

150 grams with the carrying case. Likely about 100 grams if you ditch the case and just leave them clipped on. So the lightest option out there to solve the problem. Much lighter than the mats Helinox upsells to solve the problem.

£25 shipped to Canada.

Hi  Shawn,

After two seasons of use, how have the Chair Buddies held up?  Are you still happy with them?

3/01/2023 5:14 pm  #16

CedarHillX wrote:

ShawnD wrote:

150 grams with the carrying case. Likely about 100 grams if you ditch the case and just leave them clipped on. So the lightest option out there to solve the problem. Much lighter than the mats Helinox upsells to solve the problem.

£25 shipped to Canada.

Hi  Shawn,

After two seasons of use, how have the Chair Buddies held up?  Are you still happy with them?

No issues with them. They work well on sand and soft soil.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.