You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/20/2020 10:53 am  #1

Heating а Tent with a Log Torch

Interesting.
Anyone ever try this?

Dave

12/20/2020 2:48 pm  #2

Re: Heating а Tent with a Log Torch

Very cool.

I probably missed it in the video, but I wonder how hot the pipe gets.

2/09/2021 1:34 am  #3

Ahhhh, okay... "Finnish" style. Coincidentally, I watched some video a couple of months ago of an American guy (I believe it was) splitting a log and... again, arranging the matching pieces in a slightly larger circle, held together with wire. This was outside his canvas tent in the dead of winter. The next part had me kinda shaking my head because of the smell, me being the sort of person who's not fond of bears etc. sniffing around my tent.

So the guy lit a fire in the centre of the "Stonehenge"-like circle of log pieces and waited until the inside area was burned down to red hot coals. Then, IIRC he inserted a "shiskabob" arrangement of meat and vegetable chunks on a skewer wrapped in foil, sort of thing and let it bake, vertically.

In the early part of the "Finnish" video you can see where the guy pulls out a couple of sausages or hot dogs, from the centre of the affair.

IIRC the American guy only used the circle of logs for cooking, but he had an actual stove inside his tent that was made out of an oil barrel.

I'm not clear on the materials used for these experiments in terms of what prevents the pipes and/or chimney from charring the canvas of the tent that the people are sleeping in, where the canvas meets the hot metal.

P.S. Elsewhere in the category, famous U.S. back-country outdoorsman and diarist Dick Proenneke ("One Man's Wilderness") apparently had a 16mm movie camera with him, so there are clips available.

Still image: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke#/media/File:Richard_Proenneke_in_his_cabin.jpeg

10/14/2021 5:34 pm  #4

"I'm not clear on the materials used for these experiments in terms of what prevents the pipes and/or chimney from charring the canvas of the tent that the people are sleeping in, where the canvas meets the hot metal."

Hot tenters use 'stove jacks' made out of fire-resistant materials around the area where the pipe enters/exits the tent. You can even make one yourself out of a silicone baking sheet, with a hole in the middle and velcro around the outside.  A whole world of hot tenting awaits!

Last edited by Methye (10/14/2021 5:34 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.