You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2021 2:10 pm  #1

Bye Bye Flash Player

Well, it finally happened: Adobe is no longer supporting flash player and as far as I can tell it just won't work with my browser any more. This is a bummer. I was still visiting algonquinmap.com pretty regularly to look up routes and distances. I've got the map on my phone, but it was nice being able to see it on a larger screen as well.

Maybe someday some kind soul will put up a new version of the map that will help me get Unlostified in Algonquin. 

(anyone able to make flash player work still? I'm terrible at this kind of stuff so if there's a workaround or something simple I'm missing please let me know).

1/14/2021 2:53 pm  #2

Re: Bye Bye Flash Player

I found this out yesterday as well and it doesn't seem like there is a way to run flash - but I'm also not great with that stuff either.  I have the .jpg file if anyone needs it. 

1/14/2021 3:55 pm  #3

Flash is dead and likely will be for the future - there were some substantial security gaps in it that doomed it.

1/14/2021 4:32 pm  #4

The Flash EOL is a hard one. Adobe announced it about 3 years ago and all of the browsers were removing support for it by the end of 2020. It was a good technology in its day, but as Pa mentioned it has long been considered an unfixable security problem. 

1/14/2021 5:20 pm  #5

Trying to get it up on my website but it's taking a bit of work. Having a friend whose a more experienced developer helping me so hopefully we can figure it out... trying to make it similar to the old site where you can zoom in/out and drag to reposition as opposed to just one massive jpeg image

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

1/14/2021 7:27 pm  #6

I saw this coming so I downloaded the Google Earth kmz file. I actually like it much better - you can use all of the Google Earth tools right on the Jeffsmap overlay.

1/14/2021 7:31 pm  #7

I could mention my website, but I'm worried about the bandwidth

1/14/2021 9:25 pm  #8

I like it on Avenza. Still the best way I think.

1/15/2021 7:58 am  #9

Just a heads up if you open your computers "date and time" settings and set the date prior to Jan 10th or whatever the date was it will allow you to view jeffs map. It tricks your browser into thinking its still available for use.

1/15/2021 9:58 am  #10

Ok got it working: https://algonquinbeyond.com/algonquin-map/

I used a compressed version of the map for the time being but will update that soon.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

1/15/2021 3:14 pm  #11

Looks great. Thanks for this. So helpful when I'm outside my home and must check APP map urgently. And it happens on a regular basis hahaha do I have a problem? 

1/16/2021 9:53 am  #12

trippythings wrote:

Ok got it working: https://algonquinbeyond.com/algonquin-map/

I used a compressed version of the map for the time being but will update that soon.

Thanks a tonne for doing this!!

1/16/2021 7:31 pm  #13

Agreed, thanks a ton. Hopefully you get some search engine exposure because it isn't an invaluable tool for trip planning

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.