You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2021 5:48 pm  #1

Hot tent floor- in the backcountry

Any advice on what folks are using successfully for a floor, if anything in their winter backcountry tent?  Just did a successful 3 night provoking lake hot tent trip and looking to improve the floor/ground situation without cutting a bunch of evergreen boughs off live trees. I used a folding reflective windshield cover and large foil baking tray (dollar store buys) for under the stove which worked great. But looking for suggestions on a mat or something for under the thermarests and at the inside door entrance that won’t soak up water but also won’t act like a skating rink like a tarp would....that is not heavy to bring into the backcountry.

1/07/2021 6:12 pm  #2

Re: Hot tent floor- in the backcountry

I've found any tarp becomes very slippery. so I have reflectix under the sleeping mats, but nothing on the floor.

1/08/2021 9:19 am  #3

I use a piece of heavy waxed canvas from an old truck tarp, it sticks well to poly, allows you to just pick it up and shake it out if dirty or wet, and makes an excellent wrap for my stove in transit.

1/08/2021 3:06 pm  #4

Depending on how deep I am in the bush (i.e. if I do 2 trips with my pulk) I will bring a few sections of those foam flooring pads that attach together like puzzle pieces.  It is nice to have at least a few square feet in the tent where you can take your boots off and not be standing on snow or ice

1/08/2021 6:19 pm  #5

Thanks the the suggestions and thoughts! I shall experiment

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.