You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2021 6:48 pm  #1

New Gasifier Stove

So I got this new twig stove for Christmas and I'm super happy with it and think it will get tons of use.  It's a Tomshoo brand from Amazon (cost about $40) and it's a gasifier stove so it burns extremely clean and efficiently.  What I like about it is that it also burns wood pellets.  There are so many times on a winter or shoulder season trip where I'd love to have a small fire for warmth, ambiance or to boil some water but don't want to burn through wood I've collected for a larger fire.  I've tried this out multiple times now on day hikes and the pellets work REALLY well.  A couple handfuls of pellets gives 20-30 minutes of flame and then another 30-40 minutes of VERY hot coals.  A 40 pound bag of pellets was bought from Canadian Tire for $7.  It's nice to have the option to burn pellets or wood.  It packs up very small so it will be coming on all my future trips to the park. 
https://www.amazon.ca/TOMSHOO-Backpacking-Portable-Windproof-Stainless/dp/B078RK3PY5

Last edited by Steve E (1/03/2021 7:06 pm)

1/03/2021 9:23 pm  #2

Re: New Gasifier Stove

I've seen a few videos of that version, looks pretty good. The titanium one looks interesting as well... just under half the weight and folds flat. Maybe I'll pick up one of them to try out this year

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

1/04/2021 1:43 pm  #3

I have the Solo stove version and it comes every trip. Works great as a makeshift campfire under a tarp on a rainy day!

1/04/2021 2:45 pm  #4

trippythings wrote:

I've seen a few videos of that version, looks pretty good. The titanium one looks interesting as well... just under half the weight and folds flat. Maybe I'll pick up one of them to try out this year

I may be wrong but I think the twig stoves that fold down flat (and are obviously much lighter and more compact) do not operate as a gasifier stove.  What makes these stoves so efficient is the design - holes at the bottom suck the cold air up through the double wall of the top and the air mixes with the hot air from the coals and you get these deep blue flames that come out of the holes in the top of the stove (at least that's my basic understanding lol).  It's almost as though the fuel is not on fire but the air above it...no smoke and clean heat!  But it's a bit bulkier than a fold-down twig stove for sure

1/04/2021 2:46 pm  #5

RCSpartan wrote:

I have the Solo stove version and it comes every trip. Works great as a makeshift campfire under a tarp on a rainy day!

That's actually the exact reason I got this.  I love being out on a rainy day under a tarp (I often put my hammock tarp into "porch mode") and have always wanted to have a small controlled fire to sit by!

1/06/2021 1:19 pm  #6

Thinking of a twig stove this year for some bikepacking trips. Have you used other twig stoves?? How does this compare?.Space is an issue  so the fold flat stoves are nice but performance  may outweigh that. Thoughts on others I should consider as well??

1/06/2021 1:25 pm  #7

Shayne74 wrote:

Thinking of a twig stove this year for some bikepacking trips. Have you used other twig stoves?? How does this compare?.Space is an issue so the fold flat stoves are nice but performance may outweigh that. Thoughts on others I should consider as well??

The only other twig stove I've used is a DIY one I made from an Ikea utensil stand.  It worked ok but not nearly as well as this.  I can't speak to the collapsible ones though.  I'm sure they work well, simply as a mini fire-box.  Again what makes these types of stoves work so well is the technology and gasification process.  This one folds up pretty small but not as small as a collapsible stove.  Having said that I'm confident you could use this on a trip as your main stove and not have to worry about lugging fuel, etc.  Mine nests perfectly into my GSI Halulite Boiler as well.

Here's a good little video that shows the size packed up,and how it works.  There are a bunch of different brands that make the same stove...most of which can be found on Amazon

1/06/2021 3:21 pm  #8

Awesome
Thanks Steve. I'll  look i  to this further. I've though about just using the firebox from my Kelly kettle but similar  to the collapsible  the efficiency  will be lacking. Thanks for the input.

1/06/2021 6:25 pm  #9

My pleasure!  The game changer for me is the ability to use wood pellets as an option.  I can bring a ziploc baggie of them and still get a nice fire going regardless of the weather or wetness of wood.  Not that I’d use pellets all the time but it makes it very versatile

1/12/2021 10:36 am  #10

I have the Solo stove and love it.  Boils water pretty quickly and is light and compact.  Make sure you have a nice bunch of sticks and twigs to keep it going so you don't have to run off an find some while in the middle of cooking. 

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

1/12/2021 7:06 pm  #11

i made my twig stove from a coffee can,,works well

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.